flour, makeup, sugar powder, curry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
flour, makeup, sugar powder, curry

Hi,

i would like to create a particle behavior like flour, makeup, sugar powder or curry with decent clumping and small flat areas. The best example is the lagoa teaser:

http://vimeo.com/13457383

Has anyone an idea how to realize it with nParticles?

cheers
Ray

02 February 2013
I tried with flour for one of my last projects, it was a pain, if you have tons of time maybe you could get someting, the video is softimage, but you still need A LOT of time to simulate something like that without particle crazyness.

In the end i used max and particle flow to simulate the flour, but you can do something similar if you use classic particles, but this is just for puring particles, if you want them to stick in a little mountain, then prepare your time budget.

Also the clumpy behavior can be achieved using the forcefiled generator (I think that was the name).

Search my last threads and you'll find something about the theme and some answers from Duncan I think.

Cheers.

EDIT: Of course, you must use Krakatoa for the render, mental ray is not able to manage such quantity of particles at a good quality.

02 February 2013
It may be kind of possible, but not really. I would like to see it happen.

What I mean is some of the tech is there, using nparticles and nconstraints - https://vimeo.com/18766646 but it needs more features and speed.

To sim enough particles for something larger than a handful of sand would sadly bring maya to its knees.

Master Duncan? Please show us the key

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Last edited by HowardM : 02 February 2013 at 01:01 PM.

02 February 2013
Thanks a lot for your replies.

For the job I did recently, I used geometry instances to simulate the small clumping and emitted tons of particles, rendered with 3delight. To add a little bit of volume to it a diffuse fluid cloud did the job.

I also played around with nContraints between particles within a certain distance but as Howard said it quickly brings maya to its knees and I didnt manage to tweak it, so that the clumping doesn't look gluey but more rigid.

I'm still in love with the lagoa teaser and would like to see maya doing something similar with acceptable speed Is there a way we haven't thought of?

Thanks and cheers
Ray

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread