Meet the Artist :: Maciej Kuciara

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Thanks Maciej on your answer!

I agree with you that Maya is a bit more complex and takes time to learn it and get used to it..
I tried Modo and i saw what people are doing with it but for some reason its interface somehow did not worked for me.
I would give Modo a shoot again but then Maya 2014 just come out with new modeling toolkit and other cool stuff and that was it for me, it felt like the whole new fresh and better software so i stayed with it. Then there is also V-Ray which is another big reason, super easy but powerful so...

Once again, thanks....and keep up the good work!

09 September 2013
Hello Maciej,

It is possible for you to talk about your experience with Naughty Dog? It is my goal to try and break into the video game industry one day and I was wondering if there is a key difference between game and film studios, or do they pretty much operate in the same way? It was also mentioned earlier in another comment that Maya was dominantly used in The Last of Us and the majority of companies worldwide, do you know if big studios also use other programs like modo? There are so many 3d programs out there nowadays, it makes me wonder which ones are important to learn.

09 September 2013
Hello Maciej,

Maybe my question will be the most stupid in this thread, but how did you learn English so well? Maybe you can advise some new way to learn it except living in US and watching movies. Whats your story?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AneeshaRode: Hello Maciej,

It is possible for you to talk about your experience with Naughty Dog? It is my goal to try and break into the video game industry one day and I was wondering if there is a key difference between game and film studios, or do they pretty much operate in the same way? It was also mentioned earlier in another comment that Maya was dominantly used in The Last of Us and the majority of companies worldwide, do you know if big studios also use other programs like modo? There are so many 3d programs out there nowadays, it makes me wonder which ones are important to learn.

Hi Aneesha.

I can only speak from concept artist perspective and the only major difference between film and games is that in film you're getting hire for specific show, in games for one or more studio projects (with exception to art departments at VFX studios, if you're lucky enough to be hired as staff). Pipelines are different both in film and video games, altho both of these mediums are coming closer together nowadays.
Naughty Dog uses Maya, I know there are other game studios that use different software thou (including Modo). Again, from concept artist perspective - tools really dont matter as much as quality of work.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by linakarp: Hello Maciej,

Maybe my question will be the most stupid in this thread, but how did you learn English so well? Maybe you can advise some new way to learn it except living in US and watching movies. Whats your story?

Hey Lina,

I was really bad English speaker (Engrish almost..). Apart from whatever I've learnt from school, I really picked it up over years by just being around people and talking English only. I'm sure there are other ways or better ways to learn to speak fluently too.

09 September 2013
Thanks you for your reply, Macej!
Its very interesting to read this thread.

Thread Closed share thread