Smooth out vray reflections

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Smooth out vray reflections

What exactly do I need to do to smooth out the reflections in the legs of the tables, and make them look less "blocky"? I've tried increasing both the global substeps, as well as the reflection substeps in the material, and I've also tried sever antialiasing filters, but still the blockyness. I'm on Max 2012 with Vray Adv 2.1

Old 02 February 2013   #2
This has to do with your antialiasing filter. You could mess with subdivs all day long and it won't do much. Try a different filter.

Vox

Old 02 February 2013   #3
the table legs are reflecting your light source that is behind the camera which is much brighter than 100% white and vray can't anti alias with the neighbouring pixels because the contrast is too great

to fix it: enable clamp output and subpixel mapping in the color mapping rollout. this will clamp overbright colours to white and allow the antialiasing to do its thing

Old 02 February 2013   #4
What Gravey and Voxel said. Plus: have a read through this

I always find it easier to fix stuff, if you actually know why and what you're fixing

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey
the table legs are reflecting your light source that is behind the camera which is much brighter than 100% white and vray can't anti alias with the neighbouring pixels because the contrast is too great

to fix it: enable clamp output and subpixel mapping in the color mapping rollout. this will clamp overbright colours to white and allow the antialiasing to do its thing

Luckily it's fairly good at AA'ing things which are a bit over 1, so if you clamp it to, say, 1.5, you should get more or less the same level of anti-aliasing quality, but retaining the overbright if you're render to half float or float and want to twaddle about in post.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread