Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
jibberishballr
Veteran
portfolio
Josh Shadwick-Young
California State University, Chico
Chico, US

Maya to Mudbox workflow

Trying to find a guide on how to go about this.

I am doing low poly modeling work for a video game project. I want to be able to create a high res mesh and then bake it onto the low res mesh.

So far I have used Maya to create the low res mesh and have UV'd everything. I'd like to take it into Mudbox for the sculpting/painting portion.

So what should my workflow from this point on look like?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
in maya. select your mesh and go to File>Send To Mudbox

choose one of the options depending on what you want.

in mudbox, subdivide, sculpt, paint, texture however you like. when you paint, it will create create a map - you decide what the map will be; diffuse, bump, occlusion etc. you probably want diffuse.

you can also generate occlusion, vector displacement, bumps, normal etc, by going to Maps>extract texture maps>new operation.

there you can choose the type of map you want what level of the mesh to derive it from and what mesh to apply it to. you do this for as many types of maps you may need.

once you have everything set. select your mesh and go to File>send to maya and select the appropriate options. this method will update or send your mesh to a new scene(depending on your settings) with the uvs and texture all in place. you can also send your maps manually from the layer menu, by right clicking the layer and selecting export.

there are many different ways to go about it really. that's kinda the gist of it.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
jibberishballr
Veteran
portfolio
Josh Shadwick-Young
Chico, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecos
in maya. select your mesh and go to File>Send To Mudbox

choose one of the options depending on what you want.

in mudbox, subdivide, sculpt, paint, texture however you like. when you paint, it will create create a map - you decide what the map will be; diffuse, bump, occlusion etc. you probably want diffuse.

you can also generate occlusion, vector displacement, bumps, normal etc, by going to Maps>extract texture maps>new operation.

there you can choose the type of map you want what level of the mesh to derive it from and what mesh to apply it to. you do this for as many types of maps you may need.

once you have everything set. select your mesh and go to File>send to maya and select the appropriate options. this method will update or send your mesh to a new scene(depending on your settings) with the uvs and texture all in place. you can also send your maps manually from the layer menu, by right clicking the layer and selecting export.

there are many different ways to go about it really. that's kinda the gist of it.

So once i've subdivided the low mesh, and made all the changes (sculping and paintint) i then export those textures to the lowest mesh in the texture map extraction options. Then all I have to do is send that to maya and it will update my low res mesh with all the high res info? So my normal will be put on my low res and show my high res work? How do I know how extreme of changes I can make without having weird artifacting?

EDIT:

Also it wont work for my workflow as I am making super low poly items (around 1-600 tris) that then have to look good So I think I have to make two separate meshes, but would like to see if there is a good workflow to go about this

Last edited by jibberishballr : 10-04-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
It should work just fine for a low poly model. Youll have judge how much you can get away with. In mudboc you can derrive your normal mapping from your high res. go down to your lowest level and get a pretty accurate preview how it will look in game

Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

for lowres objects i would first do the highres... feel free to do what ever you want...
the highres doesnt need uvs for this work...
after the sculpting is fine do a retopo and uvs.... bake all your maps onto the low version...
texture the lowres version...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

There are three different workflows here and none can be considered "right" really.
1) Some ppl prefer to do the HP first, by making a simple basemesh (lowpoly) and then make the HP from it. Then they move to a lower subdiv (like 2?) and export that as a lowpoly, tweaking and optimizing it in Maya.

2) And some prefer to do the lowpoly first, subdiv it and sculpt the details. Same stuff but the other way around kinda.

3) And the third way is to do LP/HP in parallel or to switch between doing LP and HP. Afaik ppl only do this with characters that has a lot of "extras" on them: think of a soldier for example and all their accesories (helm, belt, gun, boots, etc)

Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
jibberishballr
Veteran
portfolio
Josh Shadwick-Young
Chico, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
for lowres objects i would first do the highres... feel free to do what ever you want...
the highres doesnt need uvs for this work...
after the sculpting is fine do a retopo and uvs.... bake all your maps onto the low version...
texture the lowres version...

I was thinking of going about it this way, only because my low res is so low that if i subdivide it, it loses its shape (since it doesn't have multiple edge loops causing a hard edge) thanks for the advice guys..I'll see what I can come up with

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

mudbox is supporting edge creasing and hard edges if you import the object via fbx...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
jibberishballr
Veteran
portfolio
Josh Shadwick-Young
Chico, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
mudbox is supporting edge creasing and hard edges if you import the object via fbx...

yea i figured that out today and it worked out pretty well... the trick now is finding the sweet spot for how many times i can subdivide and still have my normal maps works

Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
trashtalk
Lord of the posts
Julian Howard
Saint Louis, USA

On a Mac, what if "send to mudbox" doesn't appear?

(Already did the following link fix)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...&linkID=9242258

Still not working.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
azes
Veteran
portfolio
aZes Numbledas
CG Generalist Lead
BlueDreams Studio
Malaga, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtalk

Still not working.

Do you have try this?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive.../t-1015799.html

These was fine to me.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
trashtalk
Lord of the posts
Julian Howard
Saint Louis, USA

Yes I tried this on my mac. My OneClick bundle is checked.

Someone else talked about HotFix installs for both Mudbox and Maya.

Anyone familiar with this fix for send to stuff?

Thx

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
ilerchik
Veteran

portfolio
Valeriya Paine
3D modeler
freelance
Roanoke, USA

Send a message via ICQ to ilerchik Send a message via MSN to ilerchik Send a message via Yahoo to ilerchik
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashtalk

Still not working.

I have the same problem, maya doesn't send anything. It opens the mudbox file, but no geometry is exported. So I am trying to do the fix above, but my file system is totally different then they say. I do not have libsynHub.dylib file anywhere in my maya directory at all. I do have it in Mudbox, but in different location.
I can't seem to find any answers online...
I gues I will have to export to obj first, but thats time consuming, because I have multiple objects...

www.ValeriyaPaine.com

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread