Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

Critique Plz - Sorcha's Gift - 2D

had hoped to get some critiques on this while I was painting it but not many people responded, so I finished it for now.Finished product: would love some honest critiques especially with painting style, lighting, color and composition.

My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
MrMojoRisin
portfolio
United Kingdom

I can't really say much but forget I said anything about a green light source your painting is absolutely incredible! My drawing, doodles and canoodles are no where ner your standard! I'm just inspired by your art.

MrMojoRisin

Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

Updated based on other feedback

Would love to hear something back on this from you guys here at cgsociety. :(

I changed the hands and fixed the hair... and minor things.
My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Last edited by sweetjeannie : 06-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
tibbi
Veteran

portfolio
USA

Very nice overall. You've captured the mood very well.

The area where the clavicle ties into the shoulder looks a little flat.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

Fixed some more things...

I want the hands to be realistic with the lighting and stuff but still fit... and I'm finding it difficult..

My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
poutniksantiago
Jan
Xerox
Prague, Czech Republic

Beautiful

Very beautiful!

My feedback would be to change the overalll lightning, make the light from the hands more stand out and keep the oposite side of her hands in the dark. The source light is in the hands of the girl, right? No other side light nor front light is supposed to light the scene. If that's your intention, consider it similar to photography. When you take a picture of your palm and there will be sun in the view, the palm will look like a black siluet. This picture is similar, the sun is in her hands, so the back of the hands should be very dark with some overglow on the sides of the palms. And maybe some streaks of light coming through the fingers that are not so tightly put together, as an interesting detail. Check the picture of the wizard I took from google search just to ilustrate what I mean. The wizard's hands that are not facing/touching the sphere are much darker.

However, that is when you are going for real visualization of the scene. But that doesn't need to be the case with you. Sometimes different, non-realistic, but still interesting view of the scene is even better.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

I originally had the hands dark under the light, but because the light is so bright, and because its so close to her hands I was informed that I needed to have something like this effect.

I assume it has to do with the strength of the light. However I did not use quite as red and saturated tones because it messes with the color scheme. I opted for more light seeping through the cracks to lessen it. I don't know if it was convincing.
My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
poutniksantiago
Jan
Xerox
Prague, Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjeannie
I originally had the hands dark under the light, but because the light is so bright, and because its so close to her hands I was informed that I needed to have something like this effect.

I assume it has to do with the strength of the light. However I did not use quite as red and saturated tones because it messes with the color scheme. I opted for more light seeping through the cracks to lessen it. I don't know if it was convincing.

Very nicely pictured here. The truth is your light is coming more around the palms out into observer's eyes. The palms aremore open. So it could be even little blinding and mess with the colors anyway. So yes, I think it actually is done well. Maybe a bit more contrast between the hands and lit body and their background could even impove it. But overall really nice.
What did you use to create it?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
adohnn
Winderward

portfolio
Elie Khalil
Freelance CG Artist & Animator
Vancouver, Canada

I like the whole atmosphere there.
It kind of reminds me of the virgin Mary (the color of her clothes and her hair's shape)

Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutniksantiago
Very nicely pictured here. The truth is your light is coming more around the palms out into observer's eyes. The palms aremore open. So it could be even little blinding and mess with the colors anyway. So yes, I think it actually is done well. Maybe a bit more contrast between the hands and lit body and their background could even impove it. But overall really nice.
What did you use to create it?

Right I agree that the effect is lessened because more of my light is showing. I still think I need to tweak it more. All I've done to create this effect is a normal round paintbrush with some opacity settings. I do everything in b/w first and then layer the colors on using different layer modes. I'm still new at painting and watched a lot of artists do this, so I thought I'd try it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adohnn
I like the whole atmosphere there.
It kind of reminds me of the virgin Mary (the color of her clothes and her hair's shape)

Thanks Adohn. I can see what you are saying. I guess I accomplished my "pure" mood then!
My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I commented in your other thread, but now that you have carried the image further, you can ignore some of the comments in that thread. For future reference, don't post multiple threads for the same WIP--it only makes it confusing for people commenting. Just keep posting in the same thread. I sometimes get a bit busy but I try to do as many critiques as I can and as often as I can, and I will eventually get to your thread.

While the reddish cast of the subsurface scattering through the skin/flesh might not be what you wanted in your color palette, it's what happens in reality--it's just part of the laws of the physical world. So it becomes a matter of authenticity vs. artistic license, and its not always an easy decision. I think at the very least, even if you don't want the red in your image, you should still give the back-lit fingers darker values because they are in fact, back-lit, and only the rims of the fingers are receiving enough light.

The vertical strip of highlight on her neck doesn't feel right--it doesn't seem to conform to the anatomical structure of her neck.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
sweetjeannie
Veteran

portfolio
Jeannie Calvin
Santa Rosa, USA

Thank you for your reply. I agree about the vertical strip will fix.

Now would your thoughts on the hands be changed if the power (the orb) was coming from her hands? Her hands are glowing as they are what draws the energy/light into that orb form. Or would you say in order to show this to a group of people would they need to glow more?
My Portfolio
My Facebook Page

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

If her hands are what's glowing, then render her hands the same way you would a light source. If you want the glow to appear "around her hands" instead of her hands being the light source, then you'd render it like the hands are lit by light sources placed all around the hands (360 degrees).

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread