Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

Hi Manuel,

thanks for the critique. I will definately try to refine the rendering in comp later on. As of now, it's really just a rendering with an image plane in the background. Naturally that won't be the case in the end. I agree with you, that the tires and the black there is too black and also too dark, however in the reference pictures of the HDRI and the background plates it looks similar. Anyway, I will try too raise the gamma a little bit, so the treads of the tire will also be more visible. Right now, I'm modeling the interior in a pretty basic fashion, so it'll hold, when the windows become more transparent.

Updates soon...

Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

Ok CgTalk,

another update:
- Reworked the shaders of the signal and headlights
- Modeled the interior and made an actual glass shader for the windows
- Added the tank flap
- Made a bump map for the tire sidewall markings and changed the shader a little bit
- added the BMW Sign on the front and tires.
- Changed the method of catching the shadows on the ground plane and how the HDRI ground reflects back on the model.

Tear it apart...
Click here for full-res

Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
WChestnutt
Lord of the posts

portfolio
William Chestnutt
Director
Lymington, United Kingdom

Evening!

First off the render looks very pretty! good work on the lighting and apart from a being a bit too grainy I think the paint is good too.

My only crit is that the model has quite a few small errors which detract from it being photo real. The front bumper is a problem for me, as is the side window trim, but as far as your second car model goes, good work!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by WChestnutt
Evening!

First off the render looks very pretty! good work on the lighting and apart from a being a bit too grainy I think the paint is good too.

My only crit is that the model has quite a few small errors which detract from it being photo real. The front bumper is a problem for me, as is the side window trim, but as far as your second car model goes, good work!

Thank you for your reply. I agree, that the bumper doesn't look entirely believing. I might change that. Maybe you can tell me, what exactly bothers you, so I can fix it more acurately. I don't fully understand what you mean with the "side window trim". I suppose you mean the way, the window lies within the frame? I did some changes to the overall comp.
- Increased the reflectivity of the windows
- Increased the resolution of the tire bump-map to 2k
- Increased the number of reflection samples, where needed
- Color corrected the backplate a little bit and decreased the saturation of the car a touch
- Decreased the grain on the car

I'd like to know, which version you think is better...thanks.

Click here for full-res

Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

Hope you don't mind some crits:

The car looks like it's slightly melting - it's a common problem really with cg cars. Take a close look at the blueprint, at the window shapes for instance. What looks like round shape (rear window) is in fact made of straight lines, with slightly chamfered corners - not smooth round shape of your model. Another place that needs closer look are pillars - yours seem very thin. Real life pillars are damn thick (it's a structural part), but the thickness is often cleverly hidden by various tricks (blacking out, covering with dark glass, etc). Front end seems too long and sagging down - this may be just my impression, but your photo references do not give such impression. While you are at it, check the overall proportions as well - upper part looks bit too tall compared to lower part. Again, subjective.

It's a nice car you have chosen - with some tweaks, you can have great model to play with.

As for the render, I liked the previous one much better, red looking more real than this new brown, but desaturated bg is better now.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
WChestnutt
Lord of the posts

portfolio
William Chestnutt
Director
Lymington, United Kingdom

Hello,

I agree with the previous couple of points made, but as for the window trim - The side window front chrome trim seems to continue down into the bodywork at the front corner?

I too preferred the previous render with more saturation. Wheels need less reflection in my opinion.They look as though they have their own ambient light compared to the rest of teh scene.

The Nose of teh car looks very good so I agree you will have a nice model and render when finished... Could you perhaps change the composition to focus more of the nose area which looks great?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

First, let me thank you for the critique. I never mind any critique as long as it's constructive, like these.
@azazel:
Valid point, concerning the back-seat window. It definately looks more edgy in the blueprint.
I also agree with you, that the pillars look a little bit too slim on second look, however if you look at the very first reference picture in my opening post, they pretty much look the same. I think it might be due to the perspective, since I modeled the car and the proportions matching the blueprints. In any way, thanks again for the close and thourough observation and your feedback.

@WChestnutt
Thanks for your points. The side window trim is actually reaching down to the main frame on the real car as well, with the difference that this front part reaching the body is made out of plastic, not chrome. I still need to change that, but thanks for reminding me. As for the comp: I'll definately show some more angles of the car, soon.

Here is the new version. I took your advice and re-introduced the more saturated colors, leaving the color corrected background plate. Tires have a new texture and bump map as well.

Click here for full-res

Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

Quote:
I also agree with you, that the pillars look a little bit too slim on second look, however if you look at the very first reference picture in my opening post, they pretty much look the same.

I think it's the interior part of the pillar that is lacking - not the exterior. Take a look at the B-pillar on the first of your photos - notice the thin black exterior part, and thick, gray interior part. That is not even included on the blueprint...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel
I think it's the interior part of the pillar that is lacking - not the exterior. Take a look at the B-pillar on the first of your photos - notice the thin black exterior part, and thick, gray interior part. That is not even included on the blueprint...

Now I see what you mean. You have a valid point there. I modeled the interior last week and I actually didn't model the inside pillars yet, so I will have to add them. Thanks for the close observation.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Super model!
Might be nice to have some background objects reflected in the windows.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread