Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Darth-Biomech
Constraining animation sequence to a spinner in 3ds max?

I've seen this feature in some Maya rigs - animation of some parts linked not to a timeline, but to a controller spinner, and animator controls the animation by spinning that thing, not moving back and forth in timeline. This video, roughly at 2:00, shows exactly what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGOjnmRS-c
I wonder, is this achievable somehow in 3ds max?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Try slider manipulators or custom attributes.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

No, no, I'm not asking how to create manipulator. I asking how to wire keyframed animation to a manipulator or attribute. I know, understand and use wiring constant things like positions, rotations or texture blend amount, but they all exposed as simple numerical values, and keyframed animation is complex. The only solution I think of so far, is manually write gargantuan script for each exact set of objects which will manually affect position and rotation of objects when slider is in certain position, but it is overkill, right? I mean, there is must be more easier way.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Sounds like you're looking for the reaction controller which basically lets you create dependencies between objects parameter whithout scripting or expressions. You can even adjust controller curves.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Well, not exactly. I'm loking for a, for example, way to change speed of animation of character walking with one slider, without affecting global scene FPS. But, honestly, I want to animate transformer parts transforming to "compact" and normal state, and later access that animation via slider without need for dragging around gazilion keyframes for hundred objects and dozens of different animations.

So, lets assume I have part that slides, then rotates, lifts up and then click in place during 100-frames animation. And I have slider which can go from 0 to 100. Then I want to wire them in that way that if slider is animated to go from 0 to 100 in 10 frames, then that detail will animate itself within that 10 frames instead of 100.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Well, not exactly. I'm loking for a, for example, way to change speed of animation of character walking with one slider, without affecting global scene FPS.
No idea what you are talking about or what that has to with anything from your original post.

Quote:

But, honestly, I want to animate transformer parts transforming to "compact" and normal state, and later access that animation via slider without need for dragging around gazilion keyframes for hundred objects and dozens of different animations.
So, lets assume I have part that slides, then rotates, lifts up and then click in place during 100-frames animation. And I have slider which can go from 0 to 100. Then I want to wire them in that way that if slider is animated to go from 0 to 100 in 10 frames, then that detail will animate itself within that 10 frames instead of 100.
reaction controller.

So for your example you would create slider, create a state at value 0 of the slider and for all transforms., create another state at a slider value of 10 where the object is moved up, another state at slider value 20, where the objects rotation starts, another at whatever slider value for whatever parameter and so son. When done you'd just keyframe the slider.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Darth-Biomech
Frequenter

portfolio
Egor Demin
Modeller, VFX artist
Freelancer
Moscow, Russia

Well, anyway, I think I found what I looking for. It's called "easy curve", controls object animation time warp, I managed to hook it to a slider controller, so it's works pretty as I wanted, even if its a bit tricky to get work right. Still, thanks for help anyway.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread