Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Sewo
Veteran
portfolio
Seweryn
Chicago, USA

Camaro-need some critique

Hello guys, i would like to share my recent renders with you.
I'm curious your opinion.This is my first serious attempt to create a car, overall i'm pretty happy with this result however i would like to know what do you think.
The one thing that bothers me is that there is some noise on the car paint in spots where reflections are but my render settings are quite high, i've increased global subdivs to 3 (didn't care much about render time)and paid special attention to car paint material and lights but still i think it looks kinda noisy.

Here are some renders.
All kind of critique would be very welcome.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

show wires for some good critique on car modeling

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Sewo
Veteran
portfolio
Seweryn
Chicago, USA

Sure,sorry i forgot. Unfortunately i dont have wires before turbosmooth sorry about that :(

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
PolyDon

portfolio
Wesley Griffith
Environment Artist
Hawken
USA

Pretty clean model I would say. Some thoughts though, for the render I definitely wouldn't render a black car on a black background. The point of the render is to show off your model in a high quality presentation. I would change the color of the background to possibly a medium grey, and then give the car an actual color like red or blue. Just a much more flattering render setup in that respect to show off the modeling job you've done.

Looks great though, really clean model.

Looking for 3d modeling work in film/tv.

Modeling Reel

Portfolio

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Sewo
Veteran
portfolio
Seweryn
Chicago, USA

Thanks, I will do some tweaking with background color but to be honest i wanted to place this car in that kinda darkish enviroment , but apparently it wasn't such a good idea, so definetly i'll try something with brighter colour.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
It is certainly possible to render a black car against a black background, I have done this myself in the past for professional clients. The trick is to light it in such a way that you don't lose the car in the background. At the moment black parts of the car are meeting black parts of the background and the shape is getting a bit lost. Some carefully placed reflection planes or area lights should do the trick.

I think a better car paint material would help you here too. You should have a car paint material available if you're using Mental Ray or VRay. This will be able to do sharp specular reflections and softer glossy reflections at the same time (to simulate the undercoat and the top coat of the paint).

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Sewo
Veteran
portfolio
Seweryn
Chicago, USA

thanks for reply, to be honest i've spend a lot of time on the car paint material (i used vray car paint material) and this is the best what i could do, there was a lot of tweaking with coat layer and reflections and specular here are my settings if you want to take a look at, this is first time that i've used this kind of material so for sure im not a expert so any advice would help.
For lighting i've used : vray dome with HDRI and 2 self ilumination planes for reflections.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread