CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
monsterfish
Veteran

Net Render: Automatically render job?

Has anybody found a way to get C4D jobs to automatically render? Kind of like a 'watch folder'?

Net Render almost does what I need in the sense that job folders created manually automatically show up in Nets inactive jobs. Can Net be modified to have manually created jobs go right to the render que instead? or.....can a script be written to move the jobs from inactive to render que?

Is there an SDK for Net?

Thanks for any insight that can be shared.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
Just out of curiosity, what is it about clicking 'start' in the browser window that you find so hindering?
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
monsterfish
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
Just out of curiosity, what is it about clicking 'start' in the browser window that you find so hindering?

We need a way for web generated content to be rendered automatically.

One option would be to develop a plugin but it seems like net render is already there. It just needs a little something extra to make it happen.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
selmo
Veteran
portfolio
Lars Norpchen
Octopus Motor
Pacifica, USA

Do you have to use net render? If you just want to automatically render dropped filed and don't need the distributed horsepower, C4D will render from the command line with the -nogui option (and other options) and there are many tools to set up watch folders in most OS. You can wrap it in a shell script / batch file to do notifications and clean up as needed.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
monsterfish
Veteran

thanks Selmo. That's the direction I'm going to pursue.

I was thinking about Net because it's already doing everything I need. Just wish there was an SDK for the render server so you could send it whatever is being triggered when a user hits the 'start' buttton on a job. Our project is web based so it would have been great to use the same html that currently triggers the Net Server.

Off to learn about command line rendering.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
selmo
Veteran
portfolio
Lars Norpchen
Octopus Motor
Pacifica, USA

I find the command line render option more predictable and manageable. NetRender creates as many problems as it solves, and I only use it when there is no other way.

On windows, you can use the %_ERRORLEVEL variable in batch files to determine if C4D correctly rendered the file or failed.

There are a few command line options not listed in the help file, so use the -help option on the command line to see all the available commands.

I'm working on a plug in that periodically reports render progress to the console window (among other things) -- useful for tracking command line renders.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
monsterfish
Veteran

I had checked out the help file after your earlier post aand was glad to see the options available. Will definitely look for the additional commands in the -help when we get closer to testing.

I appreciate you taking the time to help. Please pm me when you have your plugin ready for release. The project is in it's infancy so I'm not sure what we will be looking for in feedback from C4D. We may need something like your plugin.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread