Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
shadow92
Environment Artist

portfolio
Adrian Dudak
Bratislava, Slovakia

Altair Ibn L'Ahad Painting

Hi folks
This is an image I painted in Photoshop with using a reference image. This is my first try of this kind.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
bsj
portfolio
Brian Johnson
Langley, USA

It is a great start...keep going with it.

I think you are jumping into the details (arms) too quickly, as there is still a fair amount of value work to be done. Your image is also lacking the texture/grit of the original peice. This is something you can add while you continue working the values.

I look forward to seeing the progressions.

Regards,
Brian

Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
shadow92
Environment Artist

portfolio
Adrian Dudak
Bratislava, Slovakia

Thanks for reply!
because English is not my native language I aint sure if I understood correctly that part of "lacking the texture/grit of the original peice" - means material on the white coat ? Because, as a texture on 3D model Id make it with a bump map, but I had no idea how to paint it in 2D, you know - add some feeling its a cloth/fabric. If its that what you meant.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
bsj
portfolio
Brian Johnson
Langley, USA

Hey shadow92,
Yes, I was referring to the materials, etc. primarily on the coat.

I typically use various brushes to apply textures, but you can use textures on separate layers and play with the layer settings (overlay, multiply, etc.) to acheive the look your after. I am still learning/experimenting with various texturing techniques, with varied success, however, I would suggest starting with texture brushes, and learning to paint it without using photo textures, as leaning on this kind of technique before having a solid grasp of how to handle it yourself can seriously stunt your artistic development.

The texturing/detailing of the image should be a secondary, but important, issue for your work. There is still a bit of value work to be done on your study.

You may want to try creating a layer on top of your image, fill it with Black, and then set it to saturation mode. You can turn this layer on to see the values in your image (black to white), and then turn it off to continue working the color/value of the image as a whole.

Also, some tuts for you to take a look at can be found here:

http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/

If you've never seen these tutorials, they cover a wide range of techniques, but much of his tutorials are geared toward production work, so he uses a lot of time-saving techniques that may not benefit you in the short-term, as you may want to focus on learning the "old-fashioned" way to handle a particular problem.

For the record, I am in a similar place in my development. I am still actively avoiding many of the "short-cuts" offered in these videos, as I am concerned that they will stunt my development, and over-power my work. I am looking to slowly, but surely, gain a solid understanding of the basics before I attempt to "cheat"...too much.

and here:

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/

Mr. Rapoza's work is more illustrative in nature, and provides a bit more depth, as they aren't sped up in the manner that Feng's tend to be, so you get a real-time feel for the effort that goes into each peice.

Take care,
Brian

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
bsj
portfolio
Brian Johnson
Langley, USA

Hey shadow92,
You understood my post perfectly.

There are a number of options for texturing your character's clothing: various brushes, or using texture overlays. I tend to lean toward the brushes, as the texture layers is a bit of a cheat, and I am not at a stage in my artistic development where I am comfortable taking the short cuts that are common place in a production environment.

There are a number of tutorials out there that share different techniques for painting darn near anything. Here are a couple:

Feng Zhu
There are a wide variety of techniques covered in these tutorials. Most of these tutorials are more geared to a production pipeline type of work stream, but he is very upfront about it in most of his videos.
http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/

Dave Rapoza
The videos that Mr. Rapoza has put up on his blog are more illustrative in nature, and not sped up much, if at all, so you get a more in depth look at the working methods, and effort put into each work.

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/

Both sites offer fantastic insight into the artist's approach to developing a painting.

Happy painting,

Brian

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread