Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
dancgfx
Student

portfolio
Daniel Samson Joseph
Grad. Student
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, USA

Unhappy Having a hard time finding the right college. Help me please, seriously!

Hello,

I'm planning to do a graduate program next fall(2011) but after doing so much research I still haven't found the college that I wanted to go to. I'm interested in doing a 3d program and my focus would be on 3d modeling and texturing. The only college I've applied so far is Savannah College of Art and Design(SCAD) for M.F.A Visual Effects because I liked the program curriculum. Although, it can be expensive; but there is scholarship available to International students as well.
SCAD- Curriculum

Al the moment, I'm looking for colleges (Preferably public universities - can be less expensive compared to private) which offer 3D programs. Thing is, I couldn't find any. Most the colleges offer grad programs which are not very technical and very much research oriented and the program usually involves courses such as Art history, History and Memory, Facts and Fiction. No offense to anyone who are interested in such courses but it's not something I'm looking for. I love Gnomon, VFS type courses but I know it's kind of impossible to find such programs for a graduate degree. That's why posting here and hoping for suggestions/opinions.

Please share/recommend colleges that you think is good for some one who wanted to do Masters program in 3D(focusing on modeling and texturing) . Perfect example would be a program like MFA 3D modeling + Animation at Academy of Art (AAU).

List of colleges I've checked so far and the reasons I didn't choose.
  • Academy of Art - MFA 3D Modeling+Animation

Reason: Duration - 3 years
  • Otis College of Art and Design - MFA Graphic Design(Accelerated)

Reason: No courses focusing on 3D; except only one of them in the curriculum which they use Rhino for 3D design.
  • California College of Arts, Oakland/SF, CA - MFA Design

Reason: Expensive
  • Art Institutes

Reasons: Expensive, other reasons.
  • University of California, LA (UCLA) - MFA Design|Media Arts

Reason: Deadline is Dec 15, Expensive for International students
  • University of California

Reason: Expensive
  • DMAC:

Reason: Florida = no cg industries
There are few more colleges that I've checked but I don't have the list with me right now.

Last edited by dancgfx : 12-09-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Thearetical
portfolio
Thea P
USA

My question for you would be: why do you need a graduate degree? Are you looking to get a degree, or an education?

I hope that doesn't sound snarky, because it's an honest question. Some people need a degree or title to meet some requirements and be able to pursue the career they want. But if the only reason you want a graduate degree is so that you can feel satisfied having gone through a graduate program, I would recommend you reconsider that position. If a school like Gnomon offers you the right content in a very focused curriculum, then why not consider it? That's why focused technical programs exist without accreditation - so that you can get down to the nitty-gritty without having to spend time on other courses that, while they can make you well-rounded, distract from the core of your learning.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Osmosae
Seán
Ireland

you mention "scholarships for international students", if your based outside of the US and hoping to work in the US a degree is alot more valuable to the visa process. If your a US citizen and dont need a visa, a degree simply demonstrates u have an ability to learn ..... just my €0.02 (i'm irish)

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
dancgfx
Student

portfolio
Daniel Samson Joseph
Grad. Student
Johnson City, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearetical
My question for you would be: why do you need a graduate degree?

Hi Thearetical, Osmosae just answered that question. If I did a diploma/certificate program, I'm not allowed to stay for a period of time and look for work. I don't mind doing a program at Gnomon(If I can afford) but since I'm allowed to to stay only for a month after the program is completed; I'll be tough to pay back the loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosae
you mention "scholarships for international students", if your based outside of the US and hoping to work in the US a degree is alot more valuable to the visa process. If your a US citizen and dont need a visa, a degree simply demonstrates u have an ability to learn ..... just my €0.02 (i'm irish)

Thanks for replying. That's true, If you're from US; degree certificate is just of paper and it'll do only minor help during employment but for International students, It worth a lot more.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
horngreenet
portfolio
blake sherrill
richardson, USA

you might want to look at the UTDallas Arts and technology program (atec)

Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
ArchNacho
Wes
Richardson, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by horngreenet
you might want to look at the UTDallas Arts and technology program (atec)

I would not do this. Been there, wasted that 4 years. Go to a program that pushes you toward a career instead of spreading your time out over eight semesters of variety classes with almost no focus classes to prepare for your career.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
spider04
portfolio
Ling hao Li
Student
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah, United States

Send a message via MSN to spider04
i graduated from scad.
the savannah department is the best school at scad, go to Savannah if you want to go to scad. but scad's more suitable if you want to do lighting or some technical stuff.

if you want to work with modeling/texuring. VFS(in Canada) is the best school in my mind.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
Kamolaras
portfolio
Ramy Mahmoud
orlando, USA

I suggest Fullsail University. They really know how to push you and keep you on your toes with knowledge. It is extremely fast-paced though, and when I say extremely I mean monthly semesters back to back for 21 months. But man! They sure do know how to arouse your potential! You will achieve feats you had no idea were possible, if you keep up with the pace of course. Look into them, it is located in Orlando, Florida! I hope this helps and I hope you are happy and content where ever you end up

-Peace

Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
dancgfx
Student

portfolio
Daniel Samson Joseph
Grad. Student
Johnson City, USA

Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.

@horngreenet: Thanks, but ArchNacho has a point.

@ArchNacho: Thank you for letting me know.

@spider04: That's true, but I'm looking for a graduate program.

@Kamolaras: Thank you, I've checked Full Sail. It seem to be a good college even though there are way too many negative opinions about the college. The curriculum for the masters program Game Design seem to be more into project management oriented rather than what I'm interested in.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
KrzysztofFus
Frequenter
portfolio
Krzysztof Fus
Modeler/Character TD
Los Angeles, USA

Fullsail advertises itself as a college but it is NOT a real college. It is not an accredited school. Its the same as Gnomon or VFS except Gnomon and VFS are far better.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread