Maya 2018.2 very slow to load up after system restart Mac OSX Sierra

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Maya 2018.2 very slow to load up after system restart Mac OSX Sierra

Iím having serious issues with Maya taking a long time and hanging when starting up. Does it particularly badly if my machine has been turned off or restated and itís the first time Iíve opened maya. Takes itís time and everything hangs. Iíve heard tell that itís an issue with SSD drives but surely not? Any one have any idea? I couldnít find anything on the Autodesk help forums. Maya itself is fine once loaded up and going, just a bit of a ballache waiting around. Iím running a 6 core 3.46ghz 5.1 Mac Pro with latest version of Sierra Mac OS X 10.12.6
Thanks
Adam

Last edited by OurInsurrection : 03 March 2018 at 08:22 PM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by OurInsurrection: Iím having serious issues with Maya taking a long time and hanging when starting up. Does it particularly badly if my machine has been turned off or restated and itís the first time Iíve opened maya. Takes itís time and everything hangs. Iíve heard tell that itís an issue with SSD drives but surely not? Any one have any idea? I couldnít find anything on the Autodesk help forums. Maya itself is fine once loaded up and going, just a bit of a ballache waiting around. Iím running a 6 core 3.46ghz 5.1 Mac Pro with latest version of Sierra Mac OS X 10.12.6
Thanks
Adam

Try the following if you haven't already:

1 - Delete the 'prefs' folder in C:\Users\username\Documents\maya\2018
2 - Reinstalling if the above doesn't work
3 - Installing an older version of maya to see if it's a bug on the current version (if both options above didn't work either)

I run Maya 2016 on Windows 10 in a SSD and didn't have any problems so far. If other software are running slow on it you should consider testing the drive to see if it needs replacement.

03 March 2018
Thanks for the help. I ended up doing a full system wide reinstall and that, along with making sure Iím connected to the internet when opening maya, seems to have sorted the issue. Still isnít the quickest to startup, certainly not when compared to the few seconds c4d takes to get going, but Iíd say itís behaving as it should now.

03 March 2018
Nice to hear that you fixed it!

Yeah, Maya is pretty slow compared to other packages, but it's still faster than 3DSMax on my machine.

Maybe disabling the autoload on plugins you don't use can speed up things a bit, although I never tested this.

03 March 2018
Thanks, Iíll give that a go. Iím getting a couple of the plugins flashing up with yellow warnings at the start, so probably should disable those. One is the mtoa plugin - surely this is obsolete anyway with maya now shipping with Arnold as standard?

03 March 2018
The mtoa plugin is actually a bridge between Maya and Arnold, if you disable it Arnold will not work.

reply share thread