Painter 11 misses and skips brush strokes with Intuos 3

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Flayer: Actually it came out in July 2007. A little over a year and a half. Still I guess that is more than the year I was thinking. When you buy software for the prices they ask though you kind of hope it is going to be good for a while before they release a new version. Point taken though

That length of time ***IS*** quite a while in software terms. Many companies release new versions of their software at least once a year, some every six months.

Thing is, you're not forced to upgrade, use the tools you have and be happy, it's not some secret plot to get you to upgrade! :-)

Cheers

Last edited by dbisme : 03 March 2009 at 11:20 PM.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by joeparis: Probably arbitrary - but I read that a lot of programs use CPU 0 first therefore devote CPU 1 to Painter. I tried both. It seems to work some of the time but not others. If I knew exactly what was going on then I might form an opinion but I'm really only trying everything to get this damned thing working.

I dunno-I seem to have good luck, I haven't experienced any of the major bugs that others have reported. Missing dabs? Haven't experienced any, slow transformation? Not fast, but well within the bounds of workable. Etc,etc...

BTW-I'm using Vista 64, Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+, 8GB ram, ATI Radeon HD3600 512Mb .

And before anyone else says it-yes, I know I'm lucky and I also know tht others problems with P11 are very real.

Cheers

dbisme

03 March 2009
I'm on dual core Joe, and tried to Set Affinity to CPU1 (tried CPU0 too), but it doesn't fix the missing strokes/dabs for me unfortunately.

03 March 2009
There have been several bugs relating to random dabs of paint flying off the Artist Oil brushes. Also, hesitation or stickiness at the beginning of the stroke. This appears mostly when you are using the Enhanced Brush Ghosting and the Artists' Oils brushes. I think I've found a method to eliminate the problem but not very elegant.

I've been playing with this bug for quite a bit. This is especially in the Artist Oils category. I notice the problem mostly when using the Enhanced Brush Ghosting mode. One thing, it seems to me is when you start the stylus moving first in the direction you make the stroke, before the stylus makes contact, the hesitation disappears. Also, you don't get that little dab of paint that flies off above the stroke. Not very elegant I know, but it does seem to work.

I'm still playing with this and haven't got the definitive answer. Any comments would be appreciated. It is a most aggravating bug. I've tried disabling the Wacom Vitual Hid driver as suggested in some other forums and it had no discernable effect on my system, Win Vista Home Premium

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by tomt: I've been playing with this bug for quite a bit. This is especially in the Artist Oils category. I notice the problem mostly when using the Enhanced Brush Ghosting mode. One thing, it seems to me is when you start the stylus moving first in the direction you make the stroke, before the stylus makes contact, the hesitation disappears. Also, you don't get that little dab of paint that flies off above the stroke. Not very elegant I know, but it does seem to work.

Enabling the 'Enhanced Brush Ghosting' option would definitely slow down your work flow.
Especially when working with a large file. I think everybody should disable this option
after your first installation completed the first place. at least I do.

I tried Enabling this option to see if the buggy 'missing stroke' or 'scatter dab for
every first stroke' would start to show off:
Nothing, there's no difference at all!
So I think this definitely would help speed up your stroke a lot even if you're on an old
PIII system but might not be the answer why this new release is causing so much trouble.

Try paint your stroke with your mouse(not with your tablet) if you got one to see if that
shows any difference.if the mouse painted stroke shows a normal and steady form, then
the problem is with how P11 reacts with the tablet's data flow.

If the above situation apeared to be true. check to see your wacom's driver console.
there should be a testing region for you to test your pen's stroke.
if it shows no smooth and steady stroke in form. you should look for a revison that deliver
steady stroke in the test region. Be sure to remove your current driver completely with a
system reboot before you can install the desired revision of course.

also, if switching from tablet's driver didn't solve your problem. your usb port may be
the real buggy thing that is doing all this undercover S**T to you.

03 March 2009
IMO this problem cannot possibly be due to anything else but P11. If you have a tablet that works in every application but P11 then P11 is the problem. Spending too much time messing with tablet config and drivers could even introduce problems where none previously existed. Regardless of whether the problem can be improved by altering P11 settings such as brush mode, or your tablet's sample rate, or your workflow, or whatever, this is not the solution. The solution is to have the bug fixed in P11.

I actually used P11 yesterday for a couple of hours and despite me doing nothing since my last usage, the brush delay and random dab was completely absent. Again, this shows that something is inconsistent within the P11 software being that I'd not touched any settings.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by mondeo30: Try paint your stroke with your mouse(not with your tablet) if you got one to see if that
shows any difference.if the mouse painted stroke shows a normal and steady form, then
the problem is with how P11 reacts with the tablet's data flow.

Yeah, the mouse produces the same missing strokes and dabs.

Like the Baron, I too see the problem coming and going and it's very annoying; just when you think you've solved it - BAM - it's back.

03 March 2009
It did sound strange. will try install the trial on another old PIII w/ Win2K and see what
would it be.

I can't seem to reproduce the bugs you guys mentioned on this thread.
will check to see if I am just lucky.

There's no tablet installed on that old PIII system. if I am lucky enough, I might be able
to reproduce one or two of the bugs too. even paint with the mouse will still remain
the same problem, right?

gotta go get some sleep. first thing tomorrow morning.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Flayer: Actually it came out in July 2007. A little over a year and a half. Still I guess that is more than the year I was thinking. When you buy software for the prices they ask though you kind of hope it is going to be good for a while before they release a new version. Point taken though

Nope.

Actually, Painter X was released much earlier than July 2007.

Read this post by John Derry in the Conceptart.org Painter forum, dated February 7, 2007:

Painter X Has Landed!

It's been two years between the release of Painter X and the release of Painter 11.

#

03 March 2009
Thanks, Jin-for confirming that I haven't QUITE lost my mind yet! ;-)

Originally Posted by Jinbrown: Nope.

Actually, Painter X was released much earlier than July 2007.

Read this post by John Derry in the Conceptart.org Painter forum, dated February 7, 2007:

Painter X Has Landed!

It's been two years between the release of Painter X and the release of Painter 11.

#

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by dbisme: Thanks, Jin-for confirming that I haven't QUITE lost my mind yet! ;-)

Nope, far from it m'dear. Your mind is in fine shape.

Jin

#

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Jinbrown: Nope, far from it m'dear. Your mind is in fine shape.

Jin

#

I won't ask what shape-some folks say it comes to a fine point at the top! :-(

Cheers

Doug B

03 March 2009
I was lucky enough to realize this morning that this new release refuse to install on
a win2K box.

Too bad I can't test if the bugs reproductable on other of my system.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by mondeo30: I was lucky enough to realize this morning that this new release refuse to install on
a win2K box.

Too bad I can't test if the bugs reproductable on other of my system.

If you read the system specs here: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...83#tabview=tab5

It says :

System Requirements

Windows® version

• Windows Vista® or Windows® XP (with latest Service Pack)
  • Pentium® IV, 700 MHz or greater
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 500 MB of hard disk space for installation
  • 24-bit color display
  • 1024 x 768 screen resolution
  • CD-ROM
  • Internet Explorer® 6 or greater
  • Mouse or tablet

03 March 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread