Imported FBX has crazy large coordinates

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Imported FBX has crazy large coordinates

Just as a test, I'm exporting my simple scene (animated 2D planes and a couple lights) from R13 to FBX 7.2 (2012). I'm then re-importing it.

My planes have insanely large coordinates and scale. And scale is no longer animated.

Is this an R13 C4D bug?

EDIT: Tried importing into Maya 2012, and the Rotate and Scale values have -nan- values. (not a number)??
Attached Images
File Type: png fbxexportimport.png (18.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png maya.png (3.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Navstar : 12 December 2012 at 01:31 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
That's pretty strange. If just exporting and then reimporting it into Cinema gives results like that then it must be a bug. It's a while since I've tested the native FBX in Cinema as I've gotten used to working with CDFBX by default, it gives a solid reliable workflow and has scale compensation options I find very useful when working between Cinema and Maya (generally I set the output scale from Cinema to 0.1 so that the objects aren't huge in Maya and then the import settings to 10 to keep things consistent).

Considering the price of CDFBX I think it's well worth having if you do any amount of work with FBX, it also imports blend shapes, curves, has some constraint support and even converts Maya custom attributes to Cinema userdata.
Unfortunately with Dan's recent health issues though I don't think it's possible to get a new license for his plugins just now.

One thing you could try is exporting as a different FBX version as maybe this bug is specific to a particular version. There's a free FBX converter app on the AD site that can change the resulting file to suit if needed.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 12 December 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Exporting in R14 and then reimport and I'm getting this!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen-shot-2012-12-07-at-2.56.png (4.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Weird, can't reproduce that here. Exporting a simple cube with some animation and reimporting gives the expected results. Can you post your test file?

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12 December 2012   #5
here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBXExportProblem.c4d.zip (68.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip FBXExportProblem.fbx.zip (32.0 KB, 1 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Figured it out, the problem is caused by the fact that you're animating some objects from a scale of Zero to 1. I've tested here and neither the native exporter or CDFBX can export this correctly. If I try the same thing in Maya it throws up a warning that the FBX plugin has detected a scale of zero and the results may be unpredictable (Maya is nice like this in that it makes the user aware of potential issues - although sometimes it's a little too diligent, heh). In the simple example I tried though it did import fine to Maya again.

I guess that setting the scale to zero like this is breaking the transformation matrix somehow, that would explain the screwed up rotation coordinates too.
The only fix I can find is to animate from a really small scale of 0.001 to 1 instead and avoid absolute zero for scale. I guess you can do a one frame visibility animation if the objects are still visible at that scale.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 12 December 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Thanks for the advice!

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread