Near Real-time Rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
@ johweedee:
I'm not thinking of extracting models from game engines to use in Maya, I'm trying to figure out if one could use a game engines for environments/rendering and then somehow export the higher end animation out of Maya and into the game engine for rendering. Or perhaps copy camera out of game engine and into Maya, and then comp everything together. Agree with you 100% on 'realism'.

Couple more related vids:
Next-Gen Viewport Display and Shading (sorry Mac-ites)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBR4...ature=endscreen

Rather than continue to hijack johweedee's thread, I've started a new one on the topic of mixing gameTech with non-GameTech here.

Old 09 September 2012   #17
@ EightBit
Totally, that's a doable workflow, it seems. Specifically with CryEngine, you could have whatever rigging you like, animate the character, and cache the geometry for importing into Crisis. So it sounds like all geometry deformation is completely transferable. And as a side note, I think your topic nests well into this one, as that's one of the main things I'm interested in discussing. I'll definitely be following that thread too.

Love that Maya viewport display tech preview in the first link. DX11 displacement and that nifty skin shader? Superb! Looks like there is also better reflections in that hsl shader, also.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Originally Posted by johweedee: @ EightBit
Totally, that's a doable workflow, it seems. Specifically with CryEngine, you could have whatever rigging you like, animate the character, and cache the geometry for importing into Crisis. So it sounds like all geometry deformation is completely transferable. And as a side note, I think your topic nests well into this one, as that's one of the main things I'm interested in discussing. I'll definitely be following that thread too.

Love that Maya viewport display tech preview in the first link. DX11 displacement and that nifty skin shader? Superb! Looks like there is also better reflections in that hsl shader, also.

Do you think that would work with something like alembic or FBX for other apps? I'm not using Maya and rather not add it back into my toolset, but I'd consider getting back into it if it meant super tight integration with a real time render engine like Crysis Cinema.

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Since Crysis supports alembic, any software that can export alembic should in theory be able to transfer all your deformations (cloth sim, character animation, baked fluids, etc). Alembic can cache the geometry, so the deformation will be baked into the vertex positions on a frame by frame basis. You won't be able to bring in your rig, but the benefit of bringing in geometry cache is that it plays back faster and practically guaranteed to look exactly like it did in your 3d package. FBX would work for bone-driven deformations, but not necessarily for more complex deformations, and I'm not sure about any simulated elements.

Old 09 September 2012   #20
Originally Posted by johweedee: Since Crysis supports alembic...

It doesn't support it yet, not in SDK version. Incoming CineBox will have support for it. Keep an eye on this topic.

Last couple days I'm digging thru topic of using realtime engines for my work. With DX11 tessellation and displacement those engines crossed the point where it make no sense to create animated films on big renderfarms and non realtime engines. Additionally they come with some sweet realtime simulation capabilities. Check this car collision plugin for CryEngine.

Here PTex and tessellation/displacement in UDK.

I love this Mars topic on CryDev too.

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Last edited by mantragora : 09 September 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #21
@mantragora
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Great links! I look forward to the CineBox release. I'm also looking forward to the time where everything fully supports ptex. Thank you for sharing!

Old 10 October 2012   #22
I love Maya's 2.0! It can render silky smooth AA and tons of millions of polygons. Here's my near-real time render test project:
http://virgil.weebly.com/1/post/201...-the-woods.html

Old 10 October 2012   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread