Display AVI on plane in viewport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Display AVI on plane in viewport

Hi,
I'm using 3ds Max and have a plane in my viewport with a standard material connected to it. The standard material has an AVI Map connected to it's diffuse channel.

The with the Show Materials on, the plane changes from grey to black, but no image shows. The material editor tells me it's rendering my AVI file each time I move the time slider, so the material related setup seems to be ok.

I'm at a loss as to why I'm not seeing the video. (I need it to do rotoscoping.)

I have the Nitrous Driver selected, the viewport is set [Shaded], tried both Materials->Shaded with Map and Realistic with Map.

My video is 720x576 25fps using Xvid. File size is 1MB. It originated from my iPhone and I used Movie Maker to crop it then converted to AVI using WinFF.

Could someone please advise what other settings affect the display of things in the viewport? Or have I done something wrong in the creation of my AVI?

Cheers,
Nap

11 November 2013
Codec probably

The problem in your situation is probably the codec that the video is compressed or the codec system setup on your PC.

I use K-lite Codec pack on my system. Checked to see if I can see the video on the viewport.
384x288 mpg video worked fine played back fine. A full hd MOV file worked as well. Plus a 720x576 AVI file works fine.
It is hard to say -really- which codec implementation will work without problems, You may have an Xvid that doesn't work and I may have one that works. They have variations I guess.
I remember opening some obsolete scenes with such avi maps which used to work then and doesn't work after some years.

I also want to mention about a case related to a DV captured AVI file. A known issue (which happens due to the wrong interpretation of the video file header) this is. Some files might play backwards. Be aware of that.

Most seamless way of using video maps is probably using sequence of images. You can use those by selecting sequence in the file selection dialog. From that point, 3dsmax generates a text file with the wildcard IFL and uses the sequence as motion video.

Regards

11 November 2013
Thnx Byteman, I posted at the Autodesk forum and they mentioned using IFL the format as well. I got it working (using VirtualDub) after I understood what needed to be done. It's actually a nice way of doing it because I guess you can change the image files if necessary. Using an AVI directly though saves a step at the start.

I understand what you mean about codecs. Funny thing is that I also use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 9.9.0 here.

The IFL method will do for now, and I can investigate the codecs later. Have a tight deadline to meet on this project.

Cheers,
Nap

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread