Converting 2D Gears of War logo into 3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Converting 2D Gears of War logo into 3D

Hi guys this is a currect project of mine i want to convert the 2d logo of gears of war into 3D.

http://www.360style.net/zune/zune2/...0War%20Logo.jpg

Currently i have the skull done but am looking for feed back on how you guys think it looks. Process used was poly plane modeling the front of the face then for the back of the skull i used nurb sphere to get the round ness of the skull. During the poly modeling i use the convert poly to SubD then back to poly's with settings set to only vertices. This allowed me to view the model with a good flow to the face.

Here are some current images.

Thx for reply's in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skull_Side.jpg (81.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skull_Front.jpg (83.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Skull_Per.jpg (76.1 KB, 26 views)

10 October 2007
Well guys here is an update, I have added in the COG that you see in the Logo. I did have this COG with a bit of depth to it but i decided to scale the depth down to allow the skull to be viewed better. Any gears of war fan liking this? So many views but no comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skull_Per01.jpg (69.0 KB, 49 views)

10 October 2007
Hi,

Sorry to see you got no replies...

I had seen your first post. But i got a kinda strange feeling from it because it looks like a good skull. Only the thing is that your skull is more like the terminator one.. shiny and sleek and polished. And the skull they have used as logo is more like a world war one trench skull (don't know if they actually exist but its a good image) with debris sticking in, all dirty and worn, and bad teeth. yours is just to perfect.

So.. you have all that detail in your skull (for me as a game modeller a hell of a lot polygons) but the small things you can see in the logo picture.. Like the bumps in the jaw, where the teeth would fit, some slight less perfect eye sockets...you know what I mean, is what I miss in your rendition. And please some less secularity.. that shine is awful

Also... since you are goin 3d you should also do the gear also 3d... just extrude and then bevel it slightly... I will not take to much away from the skull.

Great technique! Nice project! Go and make it along the final stretch!

The Earth is round...
Like a pancake!! -makes circling motion with hand-

Last edited by matsman : 10 October 2007 at 10:01 AM.

10 October 2007
In this image below i have added a bit of depth to the COG and also i have UV mapped the COG + the top of the skull. As pointed out by Matsman (Thx for the post) i have removed the Blinn texture and applied a lambert with ambient occultation map which i think looks great on the model i hope to have the texture done later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skull_PerAO.jpg (72.6 KB, 45 views)

10 October 2007
Hi again!

good job on the new shader.. and can't wait to see the skull textured... I am sure the dirt I mentioned earlier will be added with the texture right? (that's what I would do too)

However I got two things.. first I think you overdid the COG... it could be simpler and therefore less overpowering... With these two rings it is rather detailed... and they are not in the original logo as well. When I said that the COG should be 3d as well I meant it but had a rather simpler form in mind. Just extruded as a whole with a nice large beveling to catch the light. I now get your point about the cog asking to much attention.

I still think it should be 3d though so maybe you want to do something with the lights to make it a little more conspicuous. And about lights you should fix the shadow on the lower jaw of the skull... it hides very large amounts of detail. But you probably hadn't come to the point of lighting your scene... so just see it as a sidenote

Can't wait to see the textures!

The Earth is round...
Like a pancake!! -makes circling motion with hand-

10 October 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread