Lucasfilm Shows Off the Future of Filmmaking?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Lucasfilm Shows Off the Future of Filmmaking?

My social network circles have been abuzz about this video clip showing a Star Wars demo that combines motion capture with real-time rendering that rivals the best videogame cutscenes -- I only say "videogame" quality because the clip is a camera capture of video presentation so it's kind of hard to judge the finer details without seeing the original clip. http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/1111...post-production
Quote: Lucasfilm shows off the future of filmmaking? Scenes get rendered out in real time, removing the need for post-production

09 September 2013
Thanks for the link.

Nice video. It was certainly great quality, bit also absolutely videogame quality (which is still fantastic).

However, I don't think it is really the future, it is actually more like the present.
You can do almost all of that right now in CryEngine.
Certainly the rendering part. The mocap is really nice,
and seems very stable, but that isn't revolutionary either.

The time of day changing is a common feature in nearly every videogame sandbox editor, especially in CryEngine.

Again, thanks for posting it though!

VFX artist, animator, modeler, simulate, professor and engineer
Pixel Monkey for 26+ years

http://www.theafterimage.com

@rendertwit

09 September 2013
I recommend to read this article.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...duction-process

09 September 2013
In fact, it's not the furture nor the present, it's the past! Tintin, Avatar etc used such technologies.

09 September 2013
Definitely not a way to bypass post-production. I think the main uses are so that the director has a better idea of what something will look like as they are doing motion capture, and if they integrate with something like a VR headset it could give actors a better idea of what their character is doing.

09 September 2013
I saw a feature on avatar and it was done very similar way with only difference being that the models were at much worse quality.
Give or take 5-10 years and we should have the computing power to go real time CG movie making in my opinion.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by harovas: Thanks for the link.

Nice video. It was certainly great quality, bit also absolutely videogame quality (which is still fantastic).

However, I don't think it is really the future, it is actually more like the present.
You can do almost all of that right now in CryEngine.
Certainly the rendering part. The mocap is really nice,
and seems very stable, but that isn't revolutionary either.

The time of day changing is a common feature in nearly every videogame sandbox editor, especially in CryEngine.

Again, thanks for posting it though!

That's ironic, since several monitors clearly show the Unreal Engine (the interface looks like UE3 but it could be UE4). And although I agree that most of the technology already exists, the tech is not the most important part in such circumstances. I prefer the Unreal Engine over the CryEngine because of its tools such as the material editor and Cascade which can do more than the CryEngine equivalent. But of course that's my own opinion. Still, it's remarkable they use the Unreal Engine.

10 October 2013
the question is, as someone allready mentioned- how does it cope in a real movie scene situation...
These presentation which are tailored for optimum efficiancy are often misleading..

non the lest i was very impressed with the quality and creative implications..
though i was just as impressed with rin-tin-tin..

Thread Closed share thread