Optimum File Size

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Optimum File Size

I am undecided on this issue.
What is the best size to work with digital art. I use Corel Painter and Photoshop.
I would love to work on pieces at least 16x20 inches at 300 dpi in case I want to make a large
print later.

Would it be best or better to work a smaller size and use external software to "blow it up" to a larger size.

16x20 inches slow my computer to a crawl.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Without knowing anything else, I bet more RAM will give you the most bang for your buck with regards to boosting your computer.

Blowing up is never a great idea. The only way to know is to do some tests. If it is expensive to print at the highest size, then do some math and test the equivalent pixel density on a smaller output size. You need to do some tests anyways, if you really want to control the printing process, and see how the colors come out.

Also, depending on how you work, you might prefer to do all of your sketching/roughing out/big brush strokes at a lower resolution, then when that stuff is as far as you want it to go, uprez and finish at the detail level you want.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Thats only 4800x6000 pixels, thats not particularly outlandish. What cpu and ram does your machine have?

Old 09 September 2013   #4
File Size

Originally Posted by imashination: Thats only 4800x6000 pixels, thats not particularly outlandish. What cpu and ram does your machine have?

I have a 2.9 Gig Cpu and 6 Gig of Ram.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
File Size

Originally Posted by Stankluv: Without knowing anything else, I bet more RAM will give you the most bang for your buck with regards to boosting your computer.

Blowing up is never a great idea. The only way to know is to do some tests. If it is expensive to print at the highest size, then do some math and test the equivalent pixel density on a smaller output size. You need to do some tests anyways, if you really want to control the printing process, and see how the colors come out.

Also, depending on how you work, you might prefer to do all of your sketching/roughing out/big brush strokes at a lower resolution, then when that stuff is as far as you want it to go, uprez and finish at the detail level you want.

I will have to take the time to test it all out.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread