Velociraptor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Velociraptor

I've really just started to try applying what I have learn about composition. I used to have this artwork up on critique on ConteptArt.org but now they completely changed and they don't have a forum anymore. I origingally considered this work finished, but now I know I left it a bit too messy on some areas.

Now, I'm looking for critiques on composition and on the way I paint, because I know there's something wrong with the way I make my strokes, but I don't know what but I had some people says that I'm lacking technique, whatever that is. But, if there is anything else wrong, please let me know.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I cleaned it up and tried to fix the composition myself. I would still like feed back on it though.
I added some descending lights and I'm not sure if the lights in front of the raptor beaming down at the fern would reflect on his feathers or not, so it be great if someone tells me.

Old 06 June 2013   #3

Old 06 June 2013   #4
If you want to achieve a high level of polish, it's really mainly a matter of patience. Make sure you use appropriate brushes for different surface types, such as hard-edged brushes, soft-edged brushes, custom brushes with custom settings for scattering, which is very useful for textures, as well as various speckles or textured brushes. Know exactly what type of surface is on everything and then render them as intended.

You need to also know exactly what edge-type you're trying to depict. Not all edges have to be sharp. Some would be soft, or quite blurry, depending on what you're depicting. Edge types generally should have logic to them, such as your main focal points having sharp edges and contrast, and areas that you don't want to compete with the main focal areas would have soft or lost edges with low contrast. The hierarchy of your Z-depth also plays a part, just like how camera lenses focus on a focal plane and everything gets gradually softer the further they are from that focal plane.

So with the above in consideration, you will see that there are a lot of inconsistencies in your image, and if you simply tried to be more consistent, you'd be able to take the image a lot further and solve most of your problems with polish.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread