fumefx or phoenix, which to choose finally?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
fumefx or phoenix, which to choose finally?

Hello,
I don't want to launch a war between each software partisans, just want to clarify the actual situation for someone who doesn't own a system like this, and want to decide which is better/appropriate for him.
And I've seen that phoenix has now fluid/water capabilities that seem to perform quite well, which could be a decisive argument for choosing it.

So phoenix perhaps?...
But how do they compare in what they both have in common (flame, smoke and gazeous fluids)?
The problem with phoenix is that it doesn't seem to be seamlessly bridged with krakatoa such as fumefx is, and krakatoa is a must for rendering.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I know from the nightly builds they have been doing some work on the PRT support, however I don't have access to Krarktoa or FumeFX so can't comment on how well it works. Also, they have their own point renderer for Phoenix in the works, as shown here.

I think you will find greater support in the community for FumeFX, which has it's own benefits and features over Phoenix, but I think Phoenix appears to be growing and maturing as a fluid simulator over where FumeFX. One thing to remember is that FumeFX supports mental ray through additional licensing, while Phoenix does not support mr.

Personally I would say if you are on a limited budget and need liquid and gaseous fluids I would go with Phoenix. If you are more worried about gaseous and having the large community to support/help you I would go with FumeFX.

Hope that helps some,
-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #3
yes it helps, I understand better now.
What are nighty builds? Are they a kind of beta or is the fluid capabilities also available in the version they actually sell, and/or in the demo?
Also, can you tell me the benefits of rendering ffx with mental ray, since ffx sims will most of the time be composited after that. Also, I'm afraid of mr flicker, which is kind of nightmare for me as I didn't get good experience with mr in the past.
Thanks

Last edited by boumay : 06 June 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Nightly builds are betas available to customers, just requires a request for access sent to Chaos Group support. The base functionality is in the Official release, but they are adding items to the beta and will eventually roll it out into an update. There are features like the point rendering and wavelet/resimulation that are available in the nightly builds, but not the official release.

MR support probably only matters if MR is your renderer of choice. The advantage is GI and reflections/refractions of the fluids as needed.If you are using something else then it really doesn't matter. Of course Phoenix will have specific features only supported by Vray as they have direct access to the SDK to add the functionality they need.

-Eric

Old 06 June 2013   #5
thank you for this clarification

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread