Animate a Cross-section

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Animate a Cross-section

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to animate a section plane in maya. I've found that the mirror cut plane with the operation set to none works well, but it leaves the original object open. I need to to texture the cut so that the object looks solid. I've attached an image that shows what I need to do.

Thanks,

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pella_CornerCrossSection-1.jpg (39.6 KB, 31 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #2
No one has any input on this? I've seen this type of thing done quite a bit.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
What's the animation exactly?

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Renderman has CSG booleans that works great, Mental Ray has a couple shaders that you might be able to use. I have had the best luck just creating two renderlayers, one with the complete object, and one that is modeled in cross section. Then you cross fade in comp. You can't animate the cross section plane but you have exact control over what it looks like and its clean every time.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
The puppet shaders have a render-time boolean that works really well. I vaguely remember you can put different materials on the cut-away parts, but I haven't used it in years.

Download this:
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d.../c/shaders_p--2

Unzip the archive, open the Docs folder, click on "index.html", then in your browser click on "p_CSG" from the headings on the left hand side. That'll show you examples and even a movie. And yeah, it's lame Maya can't do this common effect out of the box.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
the puppet shaders for CSG don't work well with FG...give it a go though, might be enough.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread