Need help pretty bad - Render locks at certain spot of comp

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Unhappy Need help pretty bad - Render locks at certain spot of comp

I have multiple comps of video footage that I took from my GoPro. The GoPro footage was exported out from their standard MP4 to AVI using the GoPro Cineform Studio software because AE CS4 did not like the MP4 format rendered from GoPro camera.

What's happening is my video montage comp (that is nested in my main comp) keep locking up at approximately the same spot while doing a final render. My main comp length is approximately 10:30 and my video montage comp is approximately 3:30 in length.

When I try to render out my main comp or just the video comp by itself, the locking symptoms remain the same. This does not occur when doing a RAM preview render.

My system specs:

The image below shows where the render tends to lock up.
Please note there isn't much going on but just several video masked footage moving based on camera key frames. There are no expressions in this comp.

Here are the video montage comp settings

Here are the main comp settings:

My multi-proc settings:

Secret settings:

Output module settings:

Please advise, I'm practically lost on how to resolve this issue.
Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

10 October 2013
Generally when I run into this kind of issue, it usually means that something is somehow wrong with one of the source files being used on that frame. I would try re-exporting the original gopro footage and replacing your current footage in AE.

10 October 2013
What I did was rendered out JPEG stills and the AE render did not fail; weird

I also tried rendering with AME but that locked up but not at the spot where it normally does. Perhaps the overclocked settings caused the hang up; I will set the CPU hz to normal and try again. I will try to render Windows Media and H.264 after a re-export with AME and see how that goes.

Thanks, I will post an update.

10 October 2013
Generally speaking, you should try to avoid rendering video out of After Effects. First, because it's not very good at it (you'll get a much smaller h.264 by recompressing with AME or QT Pro than AE will give you). Second, because if you have a problem like this one, your entire render is corrupted.

Instead, render frames from AE and recompress elsewhere. That way, when your render fails at some point, you'll already have all of the frames prior to that point, and you might be able to make a tiny adjustment somewhere to get the problem frame sorted out. I wouldn't use JPEG, though, since that compression will be exacerbated by the additional compression to h.264 later on. PNG, Targa, or TIFF are all lossless formats that make excellent intermediate files (though the sequence will take a lot of storage space).

I also prefer to prep my source files by rendering them to frames as well. It may not always be necessary, but I find that it cuts down on the time I spend dealing with numerous other issues.

11 November 2013
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late response.
I was able to get it rendered it out in AME.

11 November 2013
Quote: What I did was rendered out JPEG stills and the AE render did not fail;
No, not so weird. Instead of rendering a GOP (group of pictures) for a video clip AE just needs the memory for one frame.
Quote: I also prefer to prep my source files by rendering them to frames as well. It may not always be necessary, but I find that it cuts down on the time I spend dealing with numerous other issues.
You can avoid a lot of troubles with color shifts and codec errors. In theory AE should also be able to process those faster than entire clips.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread