CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
StefRob
portfolio
France

Some Game of thrones fanart, all C&C are welcome

I've just finished this picture and I'd love to have your feed-back and you helping me to see the flaws.
Thanks by advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trone de fer-003.jpg (63.3 KB, 38 views)

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
ZombieMariachis
Frequenter

portfolio
Josh Hass
JoshHass.com
Owasso, USA

The composition seems good. Mostly it's just anatomical issues. Did you use reference for the figure?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
StefRob
portfolio
France

No, I couldn't find one that appealed to me. Any advice or hint on what is wrong ?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
ZombieMariachis
Frequenter

portfolio
Josh Hass
JoshHass.com
Owasso, USA

Mostly it's the head/neck anatomy.

My greatest piece of advice I can give anyone is to always use reference if your goal is realistic fantasy. It takes horrifying amounts of studious observation to be able to just set down and paint the human figure without visual aid and make it convincing.

So, my next piece of advice would be to use this illustration as your rough sketch / color / and value study. Start completely over and take a picture of yourself in the exact pose you need. Then you can create a refined drawing having already solved a lot of problems during your initial illustration with the bonus of now having a reference for the human figure.

It would be hard NOT to produce a much better illustration with those tools in hand if you're serious and dedicated to improving.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 05-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
StefRob
portfolio
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMariachis
Mostly it's the head/neck anatomy.

My greatest piece of advice I can give anyone is to always use reference if your goal is realistic fantasy. It takes horrifying amounts of studious observation to be able to just set down and paint the human figure without visual aid and make it convincing.

So, my next piece of advice would be to use this illustration as your rough sketch / color / and value study. Start completely over and take a picture of yourself in the exact pose you need. Then you can create a refined drawing having already solved a lot of problems during your initial illustration with the bonus of now having a reference for the human figure.

It would be hard NOT to produce a much better illustration with those tools in hand if you're serious and dedicated to improving.

Thank for the advice, actually I've never thought taking myself in photograph to use it as reference, dah!
That being said, thanks to the layers magic I think I've mostly corrected the anatomical issue. What do you think? Any improvement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trone de fer.jpg (82.9 KB, 19 views)

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The head/shoulder area still looks odd. You need to study anatomy references as well as shoot photo references in the exact pose you want--there are no other shortcuts. Only advanced artists with extensive experience studying anatomy/figure can fake something out of their head, and if you are not at that level, you absolutely must use reference if you don't want your figures to contain glaring mistakes.

The way the hair falls also looks unnatural. It's as if really wanted to show her back, so you move the hair out of the way, but the way you did it doesn't look right--the hair drapes over her right shoulder and seems to be stuck there. But hair is very slippery and if she's walking, it should just slip right off that shoulder due to gravity and movement.

The way you painted her right elbow looks a bit odd--as if she's pushing that elbow towards the middle of her waist. I suggest moving that arm either forward or back a bit to create a better silhouette shape of the entire figure.

The dust in the air lit up by the beam of light can use a bit more texture, so they actually read like tiny particles in the air, which would add more visual interest to the scene.

The brushwork is a bit sloppy, and can use more finesse. Expressive brushwork that looks painterly is not automatically sloppy and vague--that is a misconception. When master painters paint expressively, they aren't doing it fast and being sloppy--they are being very deliberate and careful, and the painterly expressiveness you see is highly calculated and skilled application of brushwork. Each brushstroke has careful thought behind it, so that it will appear spontaneous and dynamic, even though it is actually very carefully executed.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
StefRob
portfolio
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
The head/shoulder area still looks odd. You need to study anatomy references as well as shoot photo references in the exact pose you want--there are no other shortcuts. Only advanced artists with extensive experience studying anatomy/figure can fake something out of their head, and if you are not at that level, you absolutely must use reference if you don't want your figures to contain glaring mistakes.

The way the hair falls also looks unnatural. It's as if really wanted to show her back, so you move the hair out of the way, but the way you did it doesn't look right--the hair drapes over her right shoulder and seems to be stuck there. But hair is very slippery and if she's walking, it should just slip right off that shoulder due to gravity and movement.

The way you painted her right elbow looks a bit odd--as if she's pushing that elbow towards the middle of her waist. I suggest moving that arm either forward or back a bit to create a better silhouette shape of the entire figure.

The dust in the air lit up by the beam of light can use a bit more texture, so they actually read like tiny particles in the air, which would add more visual interest to the scene.

The brushwork is a bit sloppy, and can use more finesse. Expressive brushwork that looks painterly is not automatically sloppy and vague--that is a misconception. When master painters paint expressively, they aren't doing it fast and being sloppy--they are being very deliberate and careful, and the painterly expressiveness you see is highly calculated and skilled application of brushwork. Each brushstroke has careful thought behind it, so that it will appear spontaneous and dynamic, even though it is actually very carefully executed.

Tanks for the advices.
I've made several changes. What do you think guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trone de fer.jpg (83.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

It's better, though the way you are depicting the forms still seem odd, with some contradictions in the lighting and shadows.

For example, if you break down the forms of her figure into distinct planes, the face, the back of her neck, and her lower leg are lit pretty well, but then we look at her left arm, and we see that planes that match the ones I mentioned above are much darker. Her right arm also casts a very directional shadow that contradicts those well-lit planes.

So where exactly is your light source?

Her hair is also still stuck to her right shoulder instead of falling in front of that shoulder naturally due to gravity.

The clothing folds/wrinkles also don't look credible. Are you using proper references like I suggested? It's not that hard to take a photo of a person in a similar dress, with lighting set up like the scene you're trying to depict.

Also, in terms of the narrative, what are you trying to depict here? What is she feeling in that moment? What is her body language and facial expression supposed to convey? Her longing for the iron throne? Her hunger for power and justice? A sense of sadness and loss that her family lost their rightful rule? The way you depicted her doesn't express any emotions--it looks like an arbitrary pose that looks unnatural. Try to think more like a movie director and "direct" your actor to emote and act exactly how you want her to, so her emotions and thoughts can be seen clearly.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread