Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Dmorcos
portfolio
David M
San%2BDimas, United%2BStates

Does your modeling get messy?

At times when I try to model in Maya, the most annoying thing I run into is some vertices, edges or even faces will intersect each other, or one of them will be completely displaced when i use the smoothen option, and I usually spend most of the time "cleaning it up" when Im supposed to be focusing on the model itself. I do tend to have a lot of messy models, but have been working on it and am getting better. Do any of you artists/professional cg'ers run into that problem often? What do you do to clean it up? Or how do you model and make sure nothing messy begins to occur in the middle of your modeling with maya?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

just use cleanup from tome to time to find the bad geo...
mesh --> cleanup

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Using backface culling might help to avoid any unwanted issues when selecting for an extrusion or whatnot. Personally, I hate backface culling because I always forget to turn it off, so I'll try to check my selections in wireframe now and again. You can always use the f key to focus on your selection, it's kind of a quick way of making sure you don't have anything on the other end of the model selected.

it's been a while since I've run into any problems with non-manifold geometry, I think starting modeling from a limited amount of geometry is best for avoiding this. what I mean is, rather than starting with a sphere for the head or whatever, try using just a polygon, then extrude and model it into a loop. I like to make a loop of polys around the mouth to start, then model down to the lips and then up to the nose, etc. From there it's easier to keep everything in loops and your model turns out a lot cleaner.

Also, keep everything in quads, the insert edge loop and slide edge tool will be your friends

Last edited by jgibz : 04-23-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread