bug in step effector?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2017
bug in step effector?

... Could well be user error though. Im trying to lay out some theater seating and would like to keep it all editable in mograph. I have created the grid layout in plan with mograph cloner set to grid. To then get the elevation rake I thought a step effector would be the best option, so I set the interpolation to linear and switched everything off apart from the position Y value thinking this would just create an consistent gradient from front to back. This is the case but at the same time a slight gradient has also occurred on one of the other axis for no obvious reason. Everything else is just default. I have created the set up again just with simple cubes rather than seats to trouble shoot but it still has this odd behaviour as you can see from the screen shot. R18.041. Can anyone help me out here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step2.jpg (64.8 KB, 0 views)

05 May 2017
Maybe it's your setup ... works in this example

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

05 May 2017
I get the same error/bug.

It works if you split the columns and rows into two linear Cloners and apply the Step Effector to the outer Cloner.
Don't know if that works for your setup, but it keeps it all parametric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step effector.JPG (72.5 KB, 0 views)

05 May 2017
Hi Vid2K2. Just from looking at the screen grab it looks like you have the same issue where its stepping on two axis rather than just one. Im pretty sure its a bug as I have created the most simple set up possible and no values input other than the required ones. Its like there is a 2% rise on one of the axis where I just cant see where it would be getting that figure from.

Thanks for confirming and making the suggestion PCoombes. In the end I have broken the cloner grid out and raised the 20 rows manually as I have been assured the layout isnt changing in this case. I've got each seat as an instance of a seat in a null so I can manually select some for variations and I'm going to add some 3D people which I will need to swap in by hand but at least it will just be a case of selecting a bunch and changing the referenced instance object.

I'd have thought this issue would have appeared before now and I couldnt find anything on the net about it. Strange.

05 May 2017
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: ... Could well be user error though. Im trying to lay out some theater seating and would like to keep it all editable in mograph. I have created the grid layout in plan with mograph cloner set to grid. To then get the elevation rake I thought a step effector would be the best option, so I set the interpolation to linear and switched everything off apart from the position Y value thinking this would just create an consistent gradient from front to back. This is the case but at the same time a slight gradient has also occurred on one of the other axis for no obvious reason. Everything else is just default. I have created the set up again just with simple cubes rather than seats to trouble shoot but it still has this odd behaviour as you can see from the screen shot. R18.041. Can anyone help me out here?

I think it's not a bug. The step effector affects every single clone, so your final position change will be distributed over all of the clones. To control that just try the "Step Gap" parameter. Set it to your number of seats in a row - 1. Then you should get a step with each row.

05 May 2017
Yes I understand that but its not the issue here There should be a way to only step on one axis. The problem here is that c4d introduces a very slight step on a second axis even with the position parameter only activated on the y axis for example. If you look at the screen grab in the first post you should see the clones clearly rising on the Y axis as intended but there is also a slight rising on the X axis you can see in the front viewport.

05 May 2017
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Yes I understand that but its not the issue here There should be a way to only step on one axis. The problem here is that c4d introduces a very slight step on a second axis even with the position parameter only activated on the y axis for example. If you look at the screen grab in the first post you should see the clones clearly rising on the Y axis as intended but there is also a slight rising on the X axis you can see in the front viewport.

As spaceac said, you can either use Step Gap in the Step Effector, or use a Formula Effector with the formula simply set to u, v or w depending on the direction you want to step.

05 May 2017
I don't think it's a bug. The Step effector does not work on axis, but on the number of the clone. You can use the plain effector with a linear falloff for this effect.

05 May 2017
Yes, this is what Falloffs are for. Use a Plain Effector with a Linear Falloff for this, or by cloning a row of seats with the Step Effector.

The Step Effector works by using the index of the clone divided by the total number of clones to drive it's strength.

05 May 2017
Thanks for the help guys. The plain effector with linear falloff does indeed work for this consistent ramp on a single axis. Im still a bit flummoxed by the step effector and how you would tame it if you needed to be precise but its a powerful effector no doubt. I guess its the right effector for the job, and the plain one works really well. Thanks again.

05 May 2017
This week's Cineversity QuickTip was inspired by this thread. I show 3 ways to create stepped rows of theater seating.

Hopefully it helps explain things a bit further. The next couple of weeks will feature more QuickTips showing techniques for arranging chairs (or any object you'd like) with MoGraph.

Last edited by RickBarrett : 05 May 2017 at 04:22 PM.

06 June 2017
Pretty cool Rick! Thanks for your tips!

reply share thread