mad scientist wip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
mad scientist wip

Hello all,
I have started to work on an animation for my mad scientist character. The parameters for this animation was to do a jump, and so this is what i have got so far... I have not done any secondary motion, or whatnot, and the end of the animation still needs to be keyframed but i would really appreciate any advice you guys could offer up. hope you enjoy it so far

http://www3.telus.net/cpaulson/preview1.mov

03 March 2005
Heya, I am new to animating myself, but three things immediately stood out, so I went back and scrubbed through the movie:

1. The last full step before jumping (ie not the step where he actually lifts off) the Prof's arms go backwards and he seems to change from a full sprint to a strange kind of duckwalk for one stride. I can see that it is meant to be a quick step, like a long-jumper hitting the board but something just does't look quite right to me

2. The second thing is that he seems to jump in a fairly linear path and seems to do it slower than the speed he is running. His velocity should be the same. If it were me (and this could just be my way of doing things) I would also exaggerate the curve of his back/arms/legs to show he is really going for it and lean him forward a bit.

3. At this point the movie stops a bit short so it is a bit abrubt. Obviously you are going to add more after he hits, like his legs swinging back and forth and struggling to get a grip or something like that.

BTW, the first half was great. Not that the second half wasn't good . . . errr. I'll stop typing now!

Good luck.

03 March 2005
That looks great! Just keep on keyframming. If you can setup the bones not to render and smooth that model it would be even better.

The second half reminds me of fear factor!

-S

03 March 2005
thanks for the responses guys
all good points Ls3d, i have reworked the jump and thought i would post an update. I hadn't gotten around to working on the placement of the jump keys in the last animation, mostly i had been playing with his poses, which were not very good. I took your advice and i think it now works much nicer. Now on to the finish
http://www3.telus.net/cpaulson/mad jump2.avi

03 March 2005
ok... it is all layed out now. I still have to go back and adjust the timing and the overlapping and such but here is the complete sequence. It is kinda small but i don't have time to render anything yet cause i got class right away. please give any critiques or advice you care to offer up it will be much appreciated.

http://www3.telus.net/cpaulson/madjump3.avi

03 March 2005
That's definitely a lot more convincing. It makes a world of difference to have him doing the swinging/scrabbling for purchase.

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread