Geforce TITAN tested for OpenGL, OpenCL & CUDA apps

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Geforce TITAN tested for OpenGL, OpenCL & CUDA apps

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ation,3474.html

A brief overview of what to expect with GF Titan in some 3d apps. Including Maya, Max, iray, octane, blender cycles, lightwave etc...

04 April 2013
well.. that was disappointing..., but not surprising i suppose.

04 April 2013
It mostly presents some glaring driver issues, and they don't seem to have tested that many things.
I got better results from a 680 than they post, I wouldn't be surprised if the Titan was mis-represented.

It's been reported (reliably) by several people to be absolutely smoking in some relevant tests. Mind, TH doesn't even run some of the key tests, all they do is run blender benchmarks and things like that, not even the FFT suite of tests (which against a 680 and 580 is very important as it paints a stark picture of the 6xx double precision issues which the titan is exempt from, and that the 580 also didn't suffer from).

No professional cards in the comparison either. What a horrible article when they discuss professional use, basically using it in place of quadros, and don't include a single quadro either fermi or kepler in the tests.

Some of the comparisons are LITERALLY two lines saying "oh, it does better than both other cards", like the 5 graphs underneath didn't already point that out clearly enough.

It completely misses the opportunity of discussing spec availability (how many other options do you have in the current market to obtain that much VRAM in a consumer card?) and how it's a gift from above for things like Mari or Mudbox (or even octane. redshift and so on in fact) being an enabling factor, and not just a matter of performance (try loading a texture heavy scene and render it on the GPU with 1 or 2 GB of VRAM).

Mostly rubbish, sloshing a few benchmarks around and harping on about their numbers with some patently obvious observations.

Not saying the titan is a great card, or even good value for money, just saying their article is the usual incompetent rubbish probably run and written by people who never wrote a line of cuda or produced content with the apps in question in their life.
I would still most likely buy a Titan than I would a k5000 bang for buck wise.

04 April 2013
I wish the maya tests would also test viewport 2.0 performance

I see that likely being a totally different result

04 April 2013
Yeah, Tom's is bottom of the barrel among review sites.

I haven't done comprehensive tests, but I ran some ArionBench.

1 Titan is faster than a K5000 and a K20X put together.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sentry66: I wish the maya tests would also test viewport 2.0 performance

I see that likely being a totally different result

Same for Max also. Max users have multiple choices regarding renderers, but everyone has to work in the viewport. Yet they opted to base their testing on Iray...

04 April 2013
Keep in mind those tests are extremely old by todays standards - I remember the GTX 2xx series even having weird issues with those scenes when I benchmarked them years ago.

If you want some OpenGL tests and VP2 tests I probably have a few scenes at home I can toss at my Titan.

Thread Closed share thread