right to put this shots in my reel?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
right to put this shots in my reel?

Hi everyone

I have a doubt about some shots I would like to put in my showreel. Some months ago, while I was in a small firm I worked on some props and interior environment modeling for a full CG cartoony commercial. Basically we did some concept work and set design but the commercial itself was actually made by a bigger firm. We provided them the 3d models that I made and apparently they were good enough to be used not just for layout but also for the final production. I was very glad when I saw the finished commercial with all the nice shading and lighting and the animated characters.
The point is I am a junior and it would mean a lot to me to show some shots of this commercial in my reel, but the final rendered frames do not belong to the company I worked for, so I can't ask them to get the frames for my reel.
I kept all the stuff I modeled but this stuff Is not worth to put in a reel if out of context. Does anyone have any experience like this? Is it ok if I email directly to the bigger company to ask the right to use the frames of the commercial they made even if I didn't work directly for them? The props I made are very visible they are not just small stuff in the background...

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I would email the company that owns the ip of the commercial... obviously you would clearly write on the reel that it was your models and the images are property of xyz.

The worst that can happen is they can say no! I would personally call them and find out who to ask and speak to them over the phone, it is a bit more personal and they are potentially more likely to treat you as a human rather than taking the easy route out and forgetting about your email or just saying no

Good luck

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Just be sure to make it clear what you did on those shots. Too many reels out there where you have no idea what the artist actually contributed to the final image.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread