C4D + Surface Pro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
C4D + Surface Pro

Hi,
has anyone used C4D with Surface Pro? How's it like, any issues with the usability or performance?
I can't seem to make up my mind whether it would be handy or ridiculous to have with me on trips.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I have a Surface Pro and use C4D with it without major issues. Performance is what you'd expect for an i5 processor and onboard graphics - in other words it's usable on small scenes and in a pinch but it won't be replacing my quad-core i7 laptop with dedicated Quadro card when I have to do a demo.

C4D isn't really optimized for touch, and fold-out palettes in particular are finicky with touch and the pen (the trackpad in the touch cover or external mouse are fine). If you stick to the trackpad or external mouse I've not noticed any other issues, other than the limitation that the pen pressure currently won't work with any desktop app since the driver is only set up to support the Modern UI Touch API. Microsoft has promised a fix for that and I'm waiting impatiently.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Sorry, posted this to the wrong thread. Please ignore or delete this post if possible.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by RickBarrett: I have a Surface Pro and use C4D with it without major issues. Performance is what you'd expect for an i5 processor and onboard graphics - in other words it's usable on small scenes and in a pinch but it won't be replacing my quad-core i7 laptop with dedicated Quadro card when I have to do a demo.

C4D isn't really optimized for touch, and fold-out palettes in particular are finicky with touch and the pen (the trackpad in the touch cover or external mouse are fine). If you stick to the trackpad or external mouse I've not noticed any other issues, other than the limitation that the pen pressure currently won't work with any desktop app since the driver is only set up to support the Modern UI Touch API. Microsoft has promised a fix for that and I'm waiting impatiently.

cool good to know Rick. im am seriously considering getting a surface pro when ever they get released here

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Nice to know Rick, thanks.
I was thinking of maybe getting an external trackpad that supports multitouch, and using it with the touchscreen. Then again the touchpad support even for Macbook pro is nonexistent in C4D, so no high hopes getting it or a proper touchscreen support anytime soon. But would be great (when traveling) to use C4D without keyboard. The built-in trackpad of Surface seems rather small?

Pressure support is rather crucial indeed. I haven't used C4D with pen in ages, but with sculpting I guess that is about to change.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread