Color Select Menu for Racing Game - Unity Engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Color Select Menu for Racing Game - Unity Engine

This is a tutorial where I demo a simple setup for getting paint color selection and decal selection working in your vehicle select menus. This is geared towards a racing game setup, but the same techniques will work in any game where you want to swap textures on a character or model or add decals to that model. This tutorial is in Unity 3.56 and uses some demonstration in Autodesk Maya, though the principle of "floating" decal geometry works the same in any 3d application. You can follow this tutorial and implement this system in your own games by recreating it from the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxSN...pN15kVw&index=1

I was working on a way to setup custom paint color and logo selection in my menu system for Super Kart Racing . The following tutorial is a walk-through of exactly how I got that working for my game. Thought I'd share the knowledge.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting your discoveries. This is great stuff! I'm subscribing to your posts. They're all pretty damn good.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
@sacslacker - This system took about (2) days to get to this state. I spent hours and hours looking around for some free info about it and it was really limited. That made me realize I would share this information to help other folks who feel stuck. I hope by giving back, I get good karma and it comes back to me lol

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Could you please explain what kind of technology behind it?. I am asking seriously.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Originally Posted by JamesArndt: @sacslacker - I hope by giving back, I get good karma and it comes back to me lol

I wish you all the karma in the world man! I played a bit with your solution and it is definitely a solid solution.

I was tinkering with something similar but I was trying (without much luck) to implement it all in a shader. If I ever get it working, perhaps I will share too!

Anyway, thanks again for your scenes and tutorials! I feel guilty saying this but... keep em' coming!

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Yeah one of my next attempts is to do all of this in shader passes, the decal, the paint layer, etc.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
@juma - well this using a game engine called Unity to put everything together and render it all. It's using a form of javascript and Monodevelop to write the scripts. It's also using 3d software called Maya for the 3d models and Photoshop to do the textures. Hope that helps.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Well done. But i dont understand clearly. Are you painting it in runtime with a brush or sprey like how it works on zbrush or mudbox? or are you just changing its color in runtime? if yes i dont think there is a big R&D behind it.I am sorry if i misunderstand.
I mean its not a big news which you can post here. You should send it to personal WIP topic. Because cgsociety users are following these topics for art stuff and the technology behind it.
I am sorry mate i may misunderstand you. But it is how it works here.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
@JumMa - I think you are not grasping the underlying engine code or functionality. This isn't working like 3d software (i.e. Mudbox or Zbrush). These are custom scripts that were R&Ded for several days until a functional system began working. It's something I noticed a lot of people were looking for, but not finding (including myself). I've tried to bring the tech behind it to the masses, and help folks understand how everything is working under the hood. I don't know how to convey it clearer to you personally, but I do know almost everyone is very thankful and supportive for the work put into it. This isn't a WIP, it's a finished system and video guidance on the tech behind it.

So in essence this is art setup in Unity and it's explaining the tech and RD behind it. I do know how it works on here, I've been on CGTalk for several years (since 2006), and I've talked to mods several times on where things belong best.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Wink

Thanks for the tutorial. Doing somehting similar myself - code, not the game idea

I see what the other guy is saying... They need a tutorial section in the main forum, rather tha n in the news...

Just a quick thing I noticed...

function Start you have
if chosenColor == 1
{
changeTexture (1)
}
if chosenColor == 2
{
changeTexture (2)
}

sure you can just have 1 line....
changeTexture (ChosenColour)

And you could Set all the decal buttons false and 1 active in one function and just call that. 2 lines instead of 4

Just sayin'

Last edited by strangerthings : 03 March 2013 at 09:58 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Originally Posted by JamesArndt: @JumMa - I think you are not grasping the underlying engine code or functionality. This isn't working like 3d software (i.e. Mudbox or Zbrush). These are custom scripts that were R&Ded for several days until a functional system began working. It's something I noticed a lot of people were looking for, but not finding (including myself). I've tried to bring the tech behind it to the masses, and help folks understand how everything is working under the hood. I don't know how to convey it clearer to you personally, but I do know almost everyone is very thankful and supportive for the work put into it. This isn't a WIP, it's a finished system and video guidance on the tech behind it.

So in essence this is art setup in Unity and it's explaining the tech and RD behind it. I do know how it works on here, I've been on CGTalk for several years (since 2006), and I've talked to mods several times on where things belong best.

Ok then i am sorry. Maybe i couldnt recognize the tech behind it.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Thanks for another great resources James, really appreciated.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Awesome, glad to help!

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread