Digital Arts: 9 things they never taught you at VFX school :

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
That's good to know hope that when i get into work i get lucky with a nice environment as well.

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Panupat: It's the stories I heard from friends working in actual corporate that scared the hell out of me. The kind of stories I thought only happened in cheap drama show or books, never imagined they'd be real.

Your friends would be spot on then.
Ditto for corporates who decide they can "fix" this vfx business and ru(i)n them as one of their many verticals.

Originally Posted by leigh: I've never seen one single person inspire so much hatred amongst their peers in a studio before. I know that many complaints were made about him to production over the course of the show.

And yet he was promoted to CG supervisor.

It seems that while artists may dislike this kind of asshole, their arrogant, alpha behaviour can actually endear them to certain management types who like their ruthless, aggressive approach to things.

Lets not forget to include the most spineless hacks that do "equally" well at such places.

b

Old 01 January 2013   #18
[QUOTEleigh]... taking all the bananas from the fruit bowl in the morning
[/QUOTE]
That evil son of a beast -_-

Old 01 January 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Hooch: How about "Learn how to tell your wife and kids you're gonna spend the whole weekend in front of your computer" Again!

yeahhhh, yeahhh I agree
vimeo.com/user7844693

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Originally Posted by leigh:
And yet he was promoted to CG supervisor.

It seems that while artists may dislike this kind of asshole, their arrogant, alpha behaviour can actually endear them to certain management types who like their ruthless, aggressive approach to things.

I guess it's that old chestnut of "nice guys finish last" in action.

Na, it's they dont know what to do with him, they know they need to get him out of that environment, and mostly that means promotion or firing. Old addage S^^t floats.

Old 01 January 2013   #21
Originally Posted by cojam: Na, it's they dont know what to do with him, they know they need to get him out of that environment, and mostly that means promotion or firing. Old addage S^^t floats.

No, they could have simply not renewed his contract, just as they did with the majority of his colleagues when the show came to an end.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Originally Posted by leigh: No, they could have simply not renewed his contract, just as they did with the majority of his colleagues when the show came to an end.

They must have promoted him based on the result onscreen and they got the impression he was proactive and getting people to do something (because he was so loud).

So although his Alpha-male demeanor may have contributed to it, but if the result onscreen was bad or over budget or late... I doubt anybody would be getting promoted.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
I think we have the makings for a "The worst co-worker ever" thread. :}

adam

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: They must have promoted him based on the result onscreen and they got the impression he was proactive and getting people to do something (because he was so loud).

So although his Alpha-male demeanor may have contributed to it, but if the result onscreen was bad or over budget or late... I doubt anybody would be getting promoted.

It'd have to be a combination of things, but no one gets promoted for just being the best worker/a good worker in terms of delivering.

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread