Sketchbook thread of Consideringthepickle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
@AMGimagines: No problem. You could also check out Steve Prokopenko's channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV I've been brushing up on some of his videos. He has a series on the illusion of depth which includes perspective specifically but I recommend all his videos.

10 October 2013
This looks really helpful Thanks!

10 October 2013
Some gesture practice. 2min. sketches using the site here: http://artists.pixelovely.com/pract...figure-drawing/

The last page is from imagination and began to break them down into rough forms.

Improvement?

10 October 2013
I like the site pixelovely--someone told me about it a while back, and now that I don't have access to *live* figure drawing opportunities, I rely on that site, too The final page shows a lot of improvement! The first page shows a blocky technique (which has its advantages), while the second page shows a much more fluid approach. That fluid pencil line continues on... getting things down gesturally seems so easy, but it's sooo hard to train oneself to just do it The final page, I think, definitely shows the improvement--you've taken the good things about having more blocked out forms with precision and a solid line, but the gestural looseness has really positively affected the effective capture of organic curves

Since I finally figured out how to get the images to post into my thread, I hope to also be purging some sketches on here soon. I started a Tumblr, as you suggested, but the final trick that worked was just using a different browser altogether Good luck with your animations!

10 October 2013
I've been doing a lot of daily gesture practice. Might take a couple posts. Sorry if it's hard to see the pencil. I sketch lightly and these are just snaps from my phone; it's easier than scanning everything.

I've been using a larger sketchbook because I tend to draw gestures bigger, and I've been going back and forth so the order is a little uncertain. There are some pages I left out from the 30sec. sketches, but just more of the same. I'm not quite fast enough yet for 30sec ones.

I also started drawing in sharpie marker last night. It feels good. It's very freeing and helps to be decisive with the lines.

I found a site that seems to have a lot more images as reference that I've been using: http://www.quickposes.com/pages/timed

I'll put some notes on the second post.

10 October 2013
I noticed I was drawing very sketchily, and following the contours instead of the motion so in the newer ones I've been trying to work on more decisive, smoother lines and paying attention to the line of action instead of contours.

Some things I need to work on:
-Finding the hips and the pelvic bone +representing them clearly.
-Smooth single lines for legs are challenging, particularly in poses where they seem to be standing fairly straight. Figuring out the right line of action for that type of pose is tricky.
-Drawing basic heads at the right angle I also seem to have trouble with still. I tend to draw the head first so this eats up time at the beginning of the sketch.
-Finding the story and understanding the character of the pose helps a lot when trying to exaggerate.
-Practice is very important for this. Even a day later I felt rusty, so need to keep this up.

I also went through Proko's gesture videos and did a sketch before he started and another of the same pose after, using his advice and reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4

11 November 2013
I noticed you have been working hard, and I see you have improved! Keep going! I strongly recommend to use more room for every drawing (or at least some of them). When it's difficult enough to draw people, it gets even more difficult in small size. I have noticed that by myself, and I have read about it in many books. You could use cheaper paper for quick sketches, if you think drawing in bigger size spends too much paper.

11 November 2013
I think your figure sketches are really opening up, and you've definitely captured more fluidity in them. Finding the line of action--or the best way to interpret a line of action--is so important You mentioned you need to work on finding the balance of the hips and represent it well.. (i forget how you phrased it) -- for me, and this may not be helpful or correct, but for me I always think of the pelvis as the anchor for all motion. It's like the constant pull of gravity... so when I'm trying to capture that whatever pose, thinking about how everything reacts in relation to the hips becomes really important for me. Does that even make sense? Anyway, your progress is prolific and impressive

12 December 2013
Hey guys. Thanks for the encouragement!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been busy with my short. I've been practicing pretty consistently. So I thought I'd upload my progress from the past month or so.

I've been doing A LOT of gesture sketches, but they're mostly just stick figures and I don't want to flood the thread. I've been focusing on mannequinization recently. I often get caught up in the drawing process and forget to keep things simple so that's something I need to work on. I think I've gotten better, but there's still a lot of things to improve.

(Batch 1 of 2):

Some expression studies:

12 December 2013
(Batch 2 of 2):

Animals!

P.S. I tried photographing this last batch in a different lighting environment and also applied some filters this time to improve the image quality. Let me know if this looks better or not.

12 December 2013
@Schneesturm: Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to draw bigger. Part of the problem was not having a big enough sketchbook before. I upgraded to a new 14"x11" so I'm running off the edge of the paper a lot less frequently. It's tricky though when doing a lot of timed sketches in a row.
I read a tip from, I think it was either Mitt Kahl or Glenn Keane, to treat every sketch as a work of art. I'm considering when I get into doing full sketches with anatomy and shading and everything to do 1 sketch per page.

Here with studies I'm not as concerned but I think that goes into the psychology of how we think when we draw. I find that when I start drawing a figure on a page with another sketch already on it, I tend to make it of a similar size and I think I probably treat other aspects of the sketch similarly. So thinking about the page as a piece of art in itself is probably useful even if it's just meant to be a random collection of sketches. I think it's inevitable that the presence of other artwork and things like the size we draw at and what tool (pencil or marker etc.) will influence how we draw and our mindset about it.

@AMGimagines: Don't worry that makes sense! I need to review the anatomy of the pelvis too. The next lesson in the Proko series that I'm following pretty closely is Balance so I think that'll help a bit. I've also yet to do a lot of sketches from imagination. There's one practice technique on this thread here where he describes drawing a page of random boxes for the pelvis and then trying to build out the torso, and legs to find a figure from them: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...09&page=1&pp=30
I'd like to try that some afternoon when I get a chance. He points out the arms and head don't really play a big role in the weight or balance of the character, unless the figure is on it's side or upside down or something. This is a huge area I really need to learn more about weighting and balance because that's all really important for animation.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread