Modeling smaller objects?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Modeling smaller objects?

hi,

i wanna ask, if i model the objects smaller in my scene, renders will be faster? or can i work faster in the viewport of the 3d application? i work in maya.

or in other words, if the objects are bigger than the approximate size, the scene will be slower?

thanks..

10 October 2013
If your talking about object scale, it shouldn't make a difference. It does help though to keep things close to the grid size so you don't have to mess around with the clipping settings.

10 October 2013
yes, i mean the scales of the objects.

so, you say the scale of the objects doesnt matter. just the poly counts matter. right?

im asking this because i have to create and animate hundreds of poly cubes in one scene thats why im asking.

thanks for the help.

10 October 2013
Size _does_ matter

You should keep your ojects size always at real world scale if possible. Things like FG, GI, Caustics, AO ... are related to it.
If you scale your object to big, rendertimes will be unnecessary long, if your object is too small, chances are that the settings go out of control to get a realistic/acceptable result. That is, smaller object means smaller values and there are no values below 0. And using 0.000... values aren't the best choice.
So, scale does in fact matter and you can vary it. You just have to know what could happen and what caused it to be able to compensate it.
My suggestion would be, stay at real world scales at any time for as long as possible. It makes many things easier.

10 October 2013
yes, if i use GI, AO etc.. when rendering, its important for objects to be in real sizes for realisting ligthing. but there isnt any real world scale for an ordinary cube. im not modeling any scene from a part of the world. im modeling an abstract scene with hundreds of cubes translating constantly..

11 November 2013
Hello ArmyTruck,

The scale of your cubes, no matter how many there are, does NOT effect software render time or hardware render time (hardware render is your viewport in Maya)

Mainly, only the Poly Count, and Texture Size will effect your render time.

Info,
- Bergquist

11 November 2013
thanks Bergquist..

11 November 2013
no problem at all

also you might find useful that it doesn't really matter how many instances of the same texture you have on screen for a hardware render.
If its slowing down its more likely the size of the texture, not how many times you're using it.

In hardware rendering, like your maya viewport or game development, this helps you narrow things back down again to just poly count and texture sizes

hope this helps,
- Bergquist

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread