Good Texture Resolution for Props?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Good Texture Resolution for Props?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what resolution I should be using for textures. I mainly work on prop-sized models (clocks, lamps, tables, etc.) and I can't seem to achieve a texture without it looking pixelated.

Also, any links to good stock photo sites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

12 December 2012
Here is a link to my website, where some of my models are having texture issues:

amandashuff.wordpress.com

12 December 2012
I would suggest 2K (2,048 x 2,048) is a good starting point. You can always go lower if your prop is going to be in the background or not so visible, but 2K or 4K if you're able. Most of my UVeed stuff is at 4K in Photoshop and then I render with a 2K version unless more detail is necessary.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2012
Ya, it really depends how close you'll get to the models and what your final render resolution is. But 2k-4k is a good starting spot.

- Neil

12 December 2012
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

12 December 2012
I looked at your site and checked out your models, which are very nicely done I might add! And I can indeed see what you mean by texturing issues, in terms of resolution. In some cases there, I don't think it's resolution that's hampering you, but the UV layouts you're using rather. Check this one out, for example:

In your map here, there is a great deal of unused space. The wood areas could utilize this extra space especially - metal shaders can often get away with less detail and more material/shader "tricks" and settings to keep them looking metallic, but I think considering the surface area of your model being mainly the wood grain texture, it would help to have more UV area for those parts.

Here's a quick example of how you could go about making the wood texture higher in resolution and therefore cleaner at rendertime/realtime:

Now all I did here of course is move stuff around and resize the wood parts in Photoshop. You'd want to redo the wood parts at this resolution to make them cleaner, I'm just showing you this as a concept of how to increase the already available resolution of certain areas.

Hope this helps a little!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread