Creature Designers - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
Smile

Hey zach,

Looking cool so far! This reminds me a bit of the hilarious characters which Bobby Chiu has been creating recently:

Bobby Chiu's Creature Sketches. Constant updates!!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=342966

Looking forward to your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
Inking done by hand, the rest is Photoshop.
The first two were done a couple of years ago, and the Hallowed Lands concept was created by a friend based on them. The other creature concepts were cranked out quite quickly, I got into a good swing. These are the first proper creature designs I've done. o:
Tell me what ye think~ n_n

They are demon-like critters created for a harsh landscape called the Hallowed Lands, an underworld situated beneath the Earth's crust as a chamber for a defeated God of Doom and Evilness. Those with skulls on their faces have been semi-possessed by this God to become warriors in his new army for when he rises to power once more. Oo ahh~

These are known as Yinepu, while the original, untainted, skull-less versions of these creatures are called Frellen.

This guy was an 'accidental' Yinepu... Only the Frellen species were supposed to have undergo the Yinepu process.

He was originally a Jassah~ But changed quite considerably, and is now carnivorous. 83

^ More info about the Jassah here~ Please read, the art alone isn't much as far as creature design goes. n.n

More creatures for this world:

^ Again, please check out the description for this~ x:

^ And again, juicy infos~ n.n;

Last edited by televisation : 06 June 2006 at 10:49 PM.

07 July 2006
I really like your creatures Dunewolf
--
I did one for a Creature of the week over at ConceptArt.org

Leaf Hugger
During mating season at fall (autumn), the male Leaf hugger will grab a leaf and let the wind bring them to the ground where the female has gotten before them. The female will pick the leaf hugger who seems more able to ride the leaf and dodge birds, and also do the most impressive acrobatics at the same time. Baby Leaf huggers camouflage better whit the ground so they make the nests under tree roots. When the winter comes they're fur gets white and they climb up the trees, making a new nest that they keep until the next Fall.
The mother usually gets 4 babies a year, that stick to her until mating season.

07 July 2006
Lady M,

I love your piece, and voted for it. Really lovely sense of gesture and life to the little guy, and his fur seems nearly strokeable.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2006
worm from hell, well not really

I like this thread, and I do not have much on my computer right now, so I did a quick creature design.

As you can see it has 4 eyes, two insect type eyes and two snake like eyes. They both come in handy for how it hunts. It has a big mouth to devour its prey. It grabs the prey with its many teeth, and holds it until the creature is dead. Then it chews it up and swollow, muhahaha.

Quick sketch

07 July 2006
architectus,

Nice to see your creature sketch, and my apologies for being a bit slow to respond...lots of stuff to keep up with these days, which is great to see.

I would recommend in your sketches to focus more on getting a nice value range ~ selecting a single hue, and a set of tints and shades (lighter and darker versions of that hue) as swatches, and then sampling from those swatches to create more depth in whatever it is you are painting. Do you plan to work on this more?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2006
thanks, yeah I might get around to doing more, but I do not like the over all movement. So I want to do a completely different piece, and further the creatures design.

07 July 2006
I decided to work the mouth concept into a new creature design. There is some anatomy issues, but it is coming along okay. two legs gives the creature an advantage in quick turning.

07 July 2006
Heres some from me. From a person who's desperately trying to learn to draw.

I suck. Still can't draw in perspective without screwing it up. :(

Drawn on paper, scanned and painted in Photoshop
http://admiralra.googlepages.com/lizardThing.jpg

A little character I want to make in 3D
http://admiralra.googlepages.com/Arktos01.jpg

Just did this for fun!
http://admiralra.googlepages.com/countChickula.jpg

07 July 2006
Smile

AdmiralRa,

Nice to see your work! If you wouldn't mind posting your images as images instead of links, it would make them easier to view.

Quote: From a person who's desperately trying to learn to draw.

One suggestion is to create a Personal Anatomy and Sketchbook Thread here:
Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads

See this thread for information about creating a personal Anatomy Thread first:
FAQ: Can I Create My Own Anatomy Thread?

Links to all Personal Anatomy Threads can be found here:
Anatomy Threads of Individual Users

You are encouraged to draw from life, from master copies, and from Reference to improve your drawing ability.

A great Workshop which is currently going on is:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 1 - The Head

While it is nearing conclusion from it's official start date, the thread will remain open indefinitely for posting. You are welcome and encouraged to set your own timeline (1 month) and to participate in the thread!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2006
Been doing this slowly in the zbrush threads. I started the main body in max than moved into zbrush and detailed it into insanity. Took a normal map of it and rendered in max. Still doing the armor and many more things.

07 July 2006
Smile

RO,

This is looking great, and such a departure from your other work! Do you have any other shots / front / perspective that you can show us?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread