Maya DirectX11 Technology Viewport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: I intended no hunting at all, but was simply disagreeing with you about VP2 being a niche upgrade.

The debate was over the DX11 viewport which was seperate from vp2 at the time, my entire gripe was why they weren't putting resources into vp2 which more people would use instead of a feature aimed at high end game developers since the later would benefit more people..

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Kabab: my entire gripe was why they weren't putting resources into vp2 which more people would use ...

You can put your gripes to rest then because the Maya API is platform independent and so is VP 2. So any work that had to be done to support DX11 viewport directly benefits VP 2 API.

DX11 was a much requested and much appreciated features by a significant number of users.
You just don't happen to be included in that group.
Just like many of our users never use some of the features you value the most.

You can also put to rest the illusion that OpenGL is on par with DX11 on all platforms.
Simply not true. There would be no way for you to run OpenGL 4 on a Mac for example.

04 April 2013
Oh i have and I've moved on

But it is good to see VP2 improve....

04 April 2013
@rBrady
I love your post, specially your list. It make me realize a lot of thing.

Originally Posted by kees: So any work that had to be done to support DX11 viewport directly benefits VP 2 API.

I'm very interested by this. Does this mean the Viewport API will be more "modern" and platform independent (choice between DX/OpenGL)? As DX et OpenGL 4 API have almost the same functions? I just wonder about the VP2 future. i've read documentation (a pdf) about "how write viewport code with VP2" but didn't really understand. It's seems to be a way to remove direct drawing (even if Maya 2014 have an interesting new class for this).

Originally Posted by kees: You can also put to rest the illusion that OpenGL is on par with DX11 on all platforms.
Simply not true. There would be no way for you to run OpenGL 4 on a Mac for example.

Just my two cents on this: This is not a OpenGL problems here. Many devs are angry against Apple who never update it's drivers, even if hardware is capable. But OpenGL "fragmentation" is one of it biggest problem, specially on Apple hardware...

Last edited by Narann : 04 April 2013 at 10:55 AM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Narann: Just my two cents on this: This is not a OpenGL problems here. Many devs are angry against Apple who never update it's drivers, even if hardware is capable. But OpenGL "fragmentation" is one of it biggest problem, specially on Apple hardware...
I second that...
------------------------------

04 April 2013
One thing thats been broken for a while now in VP2 is the way it handles textures. With VRayMtls, it's applying a serious gamma correction curve to every texture making the viewport excessively dark. (For the obvious, no I'm not using any gamma correction nodes).

Hopefully can be fixed in the next update soon.

04 April 2013
Not sure if this was posted.. its been out for a while..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vnCotQ5Yw

soooo these uber shaders render perfectly in Mental ray I'm assuming because they wouldn't (?) spend so much time on development or letting us know we could set up a shader that would have to be stripped out for rendertime. Right? hahaha Yeah,.. as broken as Viewport 2.0 is, I'm sure of it. {sarcasm}

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by refract: ...soooo these uber shaders render perfectly in Mental ray... ?

I am not sure I understand your sarcasm, but I will reply anyway.

The Uber Shader is a DX11 GAME material.
So no, they do not render in Mental Ray.

It was never the goal. If it had been the goal, we would have done so.

However, Mental Ray materials can make use of the same VP 2 functionality to render real-time materials in the viewport. I think (just guessing) that would be up to Nvidia to add since it is their renderer.

Some of our game customers would have the opposite reaction to you if we had spend all this time making the Uber Shader render in Mental Ray, they would have told us to just spend more time adding features to DX11, because they do not need to render the full shader in Mental Ray.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by kees: I think (just guessing) that would be up to Nvidia to add since it is their renderer.

Just to answer to this: No. From what I know, anytime we complain about MR stuff on Nvidia forums, devs told us to make AD aware of our problems. They say they are just working on MR renderer, not specific 3D package integrations.

It seems that few things are changing. mayatomr seems to be a real collaboration between AD and NV now. It was not the case before.

It's not DX11 related. I just answer about this specific point.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by kees: I am not sure I understand your sarcasm, but I will reply anyway.

The Uber Shader is a DX11 GAME material.

Can this shader be used in game engines such as Unity? Is the shader provided and licensed for use in a game engine?

04 April 2013
It lacks a field for a Gloss map, useful in the production of Game Asset.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sacslacker: Can this shader be used in game engines such as Unity? Is the shader provided and licensed for use in a game engine?

The shader is provided here: $(MayaInstallDir)/presets/HLSL11/examples/MayaUberShader.fx

It's in HLSL. Unity4 has some restrictions about what it supports for DX11 specific HLSL syntax, which you can read about here:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentati.../DirectX11.html

04 April 2013
Cool - I haven't installed 2014 yet but this is a bit interesting. I had some issues with 2013 and plugins and that's finally settled. It was more painful that release than any time before so my jump to 2014 will be a while. I simply don't want to deal with that.

04 April 2013
I'd love to have a ubershader workflow to Unity. If I have some time I may try and get that to work.

It appears that Max often does some swapping and adjusting of shaders behind the scenes when you switch renderers. I think maya could do better with this. If you are using an ubershader and you switch to mr, it could setup a mr material that is visually very close to what you had in your ubershader. It'll never be the exact same, but 3DS Max has show it can be done and it can be very useful.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread