Mudbox 2014 strange sculpting issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1

Hello,

I am using Maya 2014 and Mudbox 2014 at the moment and came across a strange issue when sculpting.

When using the same model with Mudbox 2013, this bug doesn't happen.

It seems to be the mesh though, as other meshes doesn't provide this bug. I modeled the heart twice now and everytime its the same.

Just watch that video and you'll know what I mean.

View My Video

Any kind of help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Sorry, the video link was broken

Last edited by de3p : 06 June 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Looks like it's not updating the screen properly. That's usually a graphics card driver issue. I get it when using symmetry when the camera is in between the two brushes (say sculpting the inside of the palm on the base human model).

Does it continue to not update all the time, or is it only when first loading the model? If it's only the first time, then just pressing F to focus the camera should force it to update.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thank you very much for the answere. Im afraid pressing the F key doesn't work. When I am loading the Mesh in everything seems fine. I then subdivide the mesh and its starting looking flat, sculpting then does this strange "updating". The mesh looks properly when going through once, then i can sculpt without any problem, just until I add a new subdivision. Then the "flatness" comes again until I sculpt once through.

The strange thing is, it only seems to happen on this mesh, even modeled it three times now. Other meshes doesn't seem to have any problems at all, everything is fine. I even made some ridicolus meshes just for testing.

Strangely enough in mudbox 2013 it seems to work. But i only can see the displacement from the side, then its proper. Doesn't matter if I add the Mudbox Shader or not.

There are no warnings when importing though. Did a cleanup in Maya, merged verticies etc.

I attached the .fbx, so maybe someone would be kind enough to check, if the problem appears on his installation.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.fbx.fbx.zip (9.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #4
i've had this issue with painting.... it seems to only happen when i'm painting on small geometries.

does this happen when you geometry is larger?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Before exporting from Maya to Mudbox, I always scale up like 50 times. Tried a 100 times upscaled mesh now and its still the same :(

Last edited by de3p : 06 June 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Well how big was it to start with? Scaling 50 times means nothing if we don't know how big it was to start with . Maya and Mudbox default to cms as the default scale I think, so if your object is something like 20cms in maya, it should be the same in Mudbox and that should be fine. If it was made from a 1cm cube it'll be pretty small. If you scaled it, make sure to reset the scale/ transform before export. You can see the scale of the node in Mudbox. it should be 1,1,1

If you're not sure how big to make it, try importing the mudbox base human and scale your object to match it. you should find the man is 180 cms or so tall.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
after checking out your model it looks like it's got something to do with how it was created.

all i can say is you might want to find a different way to construct your model.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thank you, I'll try later on. In the Maya settings i have set Linear: centiemeter under Working Units. I usally start with a cube 10x10x10 and scale it up between 50 times bigger and 100 times. 100 times normally work good.

Like stated before, it seems its only that mesh... I will try a bigger scale later on, bit busy now.

Never came across that bug before.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
well from what i can tell your model was roughly the same size as the Head Only model that comes with Mudbox. so i don't think size was the issue here.

if it was me i'd just start with a Mudbox sphere and just sculpt it into shape

good luck!

Old 10 October 2013   #10

This is a known problem with Mudbox. Your model must be imported at a size close to the default models. It is not sufficient to simply scale up. The solution is to scale up by 100, export a file like an .obj from Mudbox, and then reimport the file after deleting the original. Then your sculpt tools will work as expected.

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Originally Posted by JasonGorman: This is a known problem with Mudbox. Your model must be imported at a size close to the default models. It is not sufficient to simply scale up. The solution is to scale up by 100, export a file like an .obj from Mudbox, and then reimport the file after deleting the original. Then your sculpt tools will work as expected.

There's a freeze transformation option under Edit now that removes the need to export and re-import.

Old 10 October 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread