WIP - Mage and Monster

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
WIP - Mage and Monster

Any comments and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by Kanaru:

Any comments and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Fun painting, but the composition of the figure with the great big tear of white above him splits the canvas, and traps the eye on either side. Your composition overall is a bit boxy, it's all verticals and horizontals - some angles wouldn't hurt.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Originally Posted by BillyWJ: Fun painting, but the composition of the figure with the great big tear of white above him splits the canvas, and traps the eye on either side. Your composition overall is a bit boxy, it's all verticals and horizontals - some angles wouldn't hurt.

Thanks, I'll definitely take that into consideration!

Old 06 June 2013   #4
For an action image, I think you can push the creativity of your composition more, so that it is more compelling and entertaining. Imagine you have a virtual camera and you can enter your image and fly around with that camera. Imagine pointing the camera at these two characters from various interesting angles, much like how creative cinematographers would shoot an action scene. I'm sure by now, you're already seeing much more interesting camera angles in your head.

There are various ways to make a camera angle more interesting, such as tilting the image/horizon/camera so the scene isn't so perfectly straight, or dropping the camera low to the ground and point up at an angle in an worm's eye view, or raise the camera and point down at an angle in a bird's eye view, or use ultra-wide angle with a slight fish eye-lens distortion, or have one character much closer to the camera than the other character, and so on. All of them are much more interesting and dynamic than the very typical and sterile straight-on angle that many beginner/intermediate artists default to.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
I agree with lunatic.

Views like this are good to get character ideas onto paper, but then think of cool poses and a nice view point to really make them shine.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Great creature concept, love it. Now you've got that nailed, like the other guys say, try turning it and moving the camera for more drama. The best shot i can think of like this in recent films is probably Gandalf facing off against the Balrog in lotr 2

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread