dDo - Open beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #31
This looks pretty incredible. It seems to mix procedural and art directed workflows extremely convincingly.
At the very least it provides a base texture that's leaps and bounds ahead of anything you might be able to create in the same time frame.

The price point of $500 for corporations is steep though. It doesn't offer any painting capabilities, so you still have to rely on another texturing program for manual tweaking.
The freelance price of $250 is pretty good, but still a bit pricey.

I'll probably be buying this anyways...

Old 11 November 2012   #32
Quote:

Leigh you should know better then to let this thread be kidnaped in this way

Seriously? It went from a point about why not keep options open for any OS if there is a proliferation of OS specific applications that are good, to Windows OS is a highway overpass made out of balsa wood. Let's be more accurate with that arrow veljko cause you need to do a 180.

Old 11 November 2012   #33
I would like to hear reports from people who have used this. It seems like a useful tool, but I am making certain assumptions based on the videos. It would be cool to see video of someone using it as well.

As for the whole OS thing...for a home environment, it is nice to pick and choose what you think is the best for you and even believe that it is the best. But in most production environments, you will use whatever they have and it is generally based on what your primary tools run best in. On top of that I haven't worked at a facility yet that was exclusively one OS... predominately one, yes, but not exclusively. There always seem to be machines here and there with tools specific to an OS if they warrant the trouble. So while it would be cool to have all tools available in multiple OS's, I can understand why a developer, especially a small one, would only want to devote resources to one option. If the tool is worth it, it will be used.
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 11 November 2012   #34
I'm speechless... it's absolutely awesome!

Congratulations!

Old 12 December 2012   #35
This is a really good product. Will speed up our workflow a lot.

Leigh - you will definitely change your opinion about windows after trying version 7.

Old 12 December 2012   #36
Originally Posted by leif3d: This looks pretty incredible. It seems to mix procedural and art directed workflows extremely convincingly.
At the very least it provides a base texture that's leaps and bounds ahead of anything you might be able to create in the same time frame.

The price point of $500 for corporations is steep though. It doesn't offer any painting capabilities, so you still have to rely on another texturing program for manual tweaking.
The freelance price of $250 is pretty good, but still a bit pricey.

I'll probably be buying this anyways...
Same here. It is rather pricey...especially since it's one trick pony, relatively speaking. Was expecting it to be around what Octane Render is going for ($99). If all goes well in Beta, I will still probably buy it, though.

Old 12 December 2012   #37
Originally Posted by DePaint: Sure, you get the occasional hung/unresponsive application - explorer, firefox et cetera.

But its quite easy to kill and restart those with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

That will happen on mac too. Every mac user knows the spinning beachball of frozen death very well. Shit happens regardless of which os you use, or who makes the hardware.

On the Ddo, Ndo thing, I still think they should try and make their own tool instead of working purely with photoshop. Something along of Substance Designer, but more stable.

Old 12 December 2012   #38
Thank you all for your input and thoughts on dDo, we're all listening to what you have to say.

I wanted to let you know that we released a short overview tutorial on dDo yesterday, and you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo&hd=1

Again, thank you for your input, it's really valuable to us!

Old 12 December 2012   #39
This looks like a really great tool for texture artists.

Maybe you guys are making the "Zbrush of Texture Creation" ?

Good luck with this... Hope to see more cool stuff from you guys!

Old 12 December 2012   #40
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: Something along of Substance Designer, but more stable.

So Substance Designer is a little buggy? I've been meaning to try it out. What version did you use? I thought it might be fun to compare it and dDo using the same game asset.

Old 12 December 2012   #41
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: On the Ddo, Ndo thing, I still think they should try and make their own tool instead of working purely with photoshop.

I don't know, I think that's sorta a main advantage. If they tried to make their own paint package, then they'd spend the next 10 years of development trying to replicate all of the tools photoshop already has instead of adding new stuff that photoshop can't do.

- Neil

Old 12 December 2012   #42
Incredible! The amount of CG stuff that is going realtime is mind blowing.

Old 04 April 2013   #43
Exclamation

This is the buggiest software I ever encountered. Thy really need to polish it before selling.

Old 04 April 2013   #44
Originally Posted by Roger Eberhart: So Substance Designer is a little buggy? I've been meaning to try it out. What version did you use? I thought it might be fun to compare it and dDo using the same game asset.

I'm on 3.5.1 and Substance Designer pretty darn stable if you ask me. Great product, give it a shot.

Old 04 April 2013   #45
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread