SimCity DRM, what lessons to be learned?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #151
Originally Posted by Panupat: Did you mean the online one? What happened to it?
It is still going but it went free to play last November. They said last July that they were still profitable even though subscribers fell below a million.

Old 03 March 2013   #152
Originally Posted by grrinc: I think this is EA's intention. By calling it SimCity 2013, we have a clue to what the future holds with this franchise reboot. It will be EA who kill SC2013 via the servers when SC2014 is rolled out.

It puts me in mind of printer companies that kill the ink cartridge after a 'use by' period.

Exactly. This is the kind of thing the Free Software advocates warn about... and they were talking about printers originally. Now we're down to games... meaningless stuff we do in our free time. Autodesk is less restrictive than this.

Old 03 March 2013   #153
Originally Posted by Kabab: Lets not forget about that $300 million flop that was SWTOR....

Such an epic waste of money and resources....

Yes, it takes a very special kind of company to take one of the biggest franchises in the world and run it into the ground TWICE. At least they are getting more efficient. It took them several years to ruin Star Wars Galaxies, in case of SWTOR they managed to do the same in a matter of months (you could even argue the game was already doomed before release). Just goes to show no amount of money and talent will help if your company itself is run by greedy sociopaths. Anyway, this thread is not about SWTOR, so I will stop ranting now.

Old 03 March 2013   #154
All I know is I have loved this franchise for years, and have bought every iteration since Sim City 2000. All good things come to and end, in this case, rings true, I guess.

Old 03 March 2013   #155
Originally Posted by fuss: ....Just goes to show no amount of money and talent will help if your company itself is run by greedy sociopaths. Anyway, this thread is not about SWTOR, so I will stop ranting now.

I wonder what the future holds for another single player game, I'd have bought this current one in a flash if it was single player and offline, but they HAD to try and squeeze as many $$$ out of it as they could by making it a depthless MMO

Old 03 March 2013   #156
Originally Posted by JoshBowman: I wonder what the future holds for another single player game, I'd have bought this current one in a flash if it was single player and offline, but they HAD to try and squeeze as many $$$ out of it as they could by making it a depthless MMO

Well, countrary to EA's claims, the modding community has it running in single player just fine apparently (no first hand experience, just what I read).
All you lose is the inter-city trading, which is absolutely pointless anyway as you can "beat the game" with any kind of completely dysfunctional, happyness inducing combination of buildings (which is preposterous in a sim city game, but it's what happens when you make it so tiny)

I don't think I'd play it even if it was single player and 10 bucks though, going through a couple videos it seems to have a lot more than just the stupid always-online problems.
How they could have server issues with such a minuscule thing is beyond me, especially since it's been amply proven the servers did absolutely bugger all other than storing your saves and open up some simple transactions.

Old 03 March 2013   #157
Petition against DRM requirements to the FTC.

Let's see what Miracle Max has to say.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #158
Oh Yahtzee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHPOiOr94L8

Old 04 April 2013   #159
Lol, okay Yahtzee has been getting on my nerves lately but he nailed that one.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2013   #160
Originally Posted by imashination: Oh Yahtzee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHPOiOr94L8

That was very easy to sit though. I enjoyed that thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #161
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread