Thinking of Houdini

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2017
Thinking of Houdini

Hey all,

After a rather lengthy hiatus I'm ready to get back into the 3D world of things. I'm a long time user of 3DS Max (from back in the Kinetix/Discreet days) and still use LightWave. I use to be a big time fan(still am really) and user of Softimage but sadly we know how that turned out.

I'm thinking of adding Houdini to the mix to see how it can fit in with my other goto tools. I remember when Houdini was unattainable due to its hefty price tag many, many years ago. There's been some buzz of late with SideFX's pending release of Houdini 16. I've downloaded the software and will likely just engage Apprentice mode. If things look good I'll consider Indie (although not a fan of subscription-based plans) or go all out to the non-FX commercial version, FX is too pricey for my blood. What intrigues me with Houdini is the fluid/ocean stuff, volumetrics, and rigging.

My main field of interest is in ArchViz. I dabble in entertaining animations when I can find the time but still suck at it. My profession is in CAD Engineering while 3D CGI has been a long-time hobby/passion of mine.

Thoughts on the jump to Houdini?

TIA!

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

02 February 2017
Houdini is a must, but not for archviz, in my opinion. Mantra is very slow for that kind of scenes. Also, modeling an interior wouldn't be that fun, but it would serve as a good practice to get comfortable. For everything else it's a huge powerful beast.

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by A-OC: Houdini is a must, but not for archviz, in my opinion. Mantra is very slow for that kind of scenes. Also, modeling an interior wouldn't be that fun, but it would serve as a good practice to get comfortable. For everything else it's a huge powerful beast.

Must to admit interiors are not Mantra's favorite scenes, but the same was true for 3dsmax built-in renderer for a long time, albeit it's perhaps the most popular arch-viz software

Arnold, new physically based PRMan, Redshift, Octane and finally VRay are currently available for Houdini users too, to be fair.

02 February 2017
Thanks for the replies.

I'm researching 3rd party renderers as well to use across the board with LightWave, ZBrush, and Houdini once I get familiar with it. Although no dedicated plugins for LW or Houdini Thea Render comes highly regarded for both LW & Houdini based on comments in other forums. I'm going to trial Octane, Thea, Kray, and Keyshot to see what's what.

As for Houdini I'm now hoping SideFX may offer discounts during their Houdini 16 launch event. I'm likely going to jump into Indie or consider Houdini FX if there's a deal one day.

02 February 2017
you're in luck - Core version is on sale til May: https://www.sidefx.com/get/buy/

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by danielHinton: you're in luck - Core version is on sale til May: https://www.sidefx.com/get/buy/

Yeah, I saw that during their Houdini 16 live stream event. Don't know about paying for Core since it's less-feature-based than FX or Indie. Makes more sense to go Indie considering the price even thought it is a subscription.

02 February 2017
Speaking of 3rd Party Renderers - Redshift for Houdini has been officially released and they already have H16 support. Redshift also recently added support for rendering packed primitives.

When H16 drops today, you should also download the fully functional watermarked Redshift Demo and give it a spin.

02 February 2017
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes: Speaking of 3rd Party Renderers...
When H16 drops today, you should also download the fully functional watermarked Redshift Demo and give it a spin.

Cool. Redshift will be compatible with Houdini Indie? I'm not a fan of gpu-only renderers (cost and inconvenience of loading multiple video cards) but will give it a whirl. I've also downloaded trials of Keyshot, Thea, and Octane.

Hitting the 'buy' button on H16I asaiba!

reply share thread