Forests in maya mental ray.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2016
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Thanks!

I usually only do 2 or 3 of each plant, young, medium, old kinda thing. Most of them I make in Onyx still, then adjust them in Rhino before exporting as .obj files over to Maya for texturing. I should be using proxies more but this scene started out as just a test and kinda got out of hand. Some plants you only really need one instance of, to make things work.

Cool, thanks. It shouldn't be that hard to switch out the models for instanced versions. How does it affect the scene. Is it more manageable in viewport or just renders faster?

09 September 2016
All the iterations of every model except the original are instanced. At several trillion polys, I have them all set to "bounding box" mode unless specifically trying to isolate or detail an area. Using EnvSys, the instances don't "exist" until you hit play and run the particle sim, so at Timeline=0 the scene is pretty responsive in the Viewport since it's only the landscape meshes and model meshes really, a million and a half polys or so. My hardware isn't the newest (FX-8350 and GTX 660, 16GB RAM) so I tend to use bounding box a lot with my instances. I could not use or render the scene if the plant geometry wasn't instanced. Nobody could.

The difference between proxies and direct in-scene instancing is that with proxies, if you need to change that element, you can do it in another clean, new scene, then re-save the proxy. It will update in the main scene upon loading. I didn't do that in this scene, but should have and will with any future scenes of this complexity.

It does render pretty quick. About 4 hours for 1920x1080, so I'll quad that for a final. I've removed those furthest background hills and am just doing those in Vue to save time. Instancing on those would mean another few million instances and that's just too much weight for 16GB of RAM.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

09 September 2016
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: All the iterations of every model except the original are instanced. At several trillion polys, I have them all set to "bounding box" mode unless specifically trying to isolate or detail an area. Using EnvSys, the instances don't "exist" until you hit play and run the particle sim, so at Timeline=0 the scene is pretty responsive in the Viewport since it's only the landscape meshes and model meshes really, a million and a half polys or so. My hardware isn't the newest (FX-8350 and GTX 660, 16GB RAM) so I tend to use bounding box a lot with my instances. I could not use or render the scene if the plant geometry wasn't instanced. Nobody could.

The difference between proxies and direct in-scene instancing is that with proxies, if you need to change that element, you can do it in another clean, new scene, then re-save the proxy. It will update in the main scene upon loading. I didn't do that in this scene, but should have and will with any future scenes of this complexity.

It does render pretty quick. About 4 hours for 1920x1080, so I'll quad that for a final. I've removed those furthest background hills and am just doing those in Vue to save time. Instancing on those would mean another few million instances and that's just too much weight for 16GB of RAM.

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

reply share thread