connecting light parameters

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
connecting light parameters

i have around 40 vray lights. they are different size but they all have the same intensity.

is it possible to connect the parameters between the 40 lights so that i change only one light? instance is not possible because they are different shape and size.

i was trying it with the '' parameter wiring dialoge'' but i can only select 2 lights.

any tips?

04 April 2013
That can best be done in Trackview

* with your lights selected, open Trackview,

* If your TV Selection Filter is set correctly ( selected objects ) you only should have the lights in there

* copy the multiplier controller from one of your Vray lights ( RMB->Copy )

* Be sure to have your "Track Selection" toolbar visible ( otherwise RMB -> Show Toolbars )
and all keyable tracks expanded in the nav panel

* In the "Track Selection" toolbar, type in "multiplier", this auto-selects all Vray multiplier tracks in the Nav panel ( they should become highlighted )

* be sure that there are indeed only those tracks selected, if yes, simply RMB->Paste the Controller in the Nav panel, and choose "Instance"
Now all multiplier tracks are instanced and you can change one light's multiplier and all others change too...

BTW:
this cumbersome manipulation of controllers and other animation related things is a clear sign that Autodesk has neglected the animation tools in Max for far too long. It's a shame the 3ds Max has essentially great concepts for Animation internally, which are hidden behind awkward, dated and often buggy UI's...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 04 April 2013 at 04:00 PM.

04 April 2013
thanks. everything looks ok. but i can not select the multiplier. its greyed out. so i can not copy and paste.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ice-boy: thanks. everything looks ok. but i can not select the multiplier. its greyed out. so i can not copy and paste.

Sounds like an instance or reference.

04 April 2013
in the track view i can not copy paste the mutliplier. only scale.

04 April 2013
Havent tried this myself, so i might say something stupid, but what about wiring the parameters?

04 April 2013
i think you can only wire two parameters.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by ice-boy: in the track view i can not copy paste the mutliplier. only scale.

I just tried this myself and i think i know what the problem is.
If you right click the multiplier track there is no 'copy' option, right?
You have to assign a bezier controller first to the light (right-click that track and select 'assign controller...'), then you can select copy.
You only have to do this for the light from which you want to copy, not every light.
I hope this gets it done.

Originally Posted by ice-boy: i think you can only wire two parameters.

If thats true, thats kinda stupid... :|

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread