Generating symmetrical hair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Generating symmetrical hair

I've got some hair objects I've created and animated on one side of the face (blinking lashes and furrowing brows)

I now need to show the whole face and would like to mirror/clone these hair objects to flip to the other side.

Not sure what the correct workflow would be? The internal Hair guide symmetry option doesnt seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Thanks

09 September 2012
Ahhh...

I see that Hair symmetry does not seem to work with hair when "Generate" is active.

IS there a way around this?

I am not using the hair shader to render the hair--as I need to generate geometry for my hair.
(Just using the shader various parameters to shape and randomize the hairs)

09 September 2012
Before you start doing this procedure, I highly recommend making a backup copy of your hair object and switch off its visibility.

What I do in this type of situation is to generate the hair as if there wouldn't be 2 objects - That is, to generate the full head of hair. You then use the symmetry function to mirror the styling. After you're happy with the styling, you then make a copy of the hair object and, on the original hair object, you delete the guides from the one side and on the copy, you delete the hair from the other side. You then respecify the polygon area from which the hair should grow for each of the objects. It's been a while since I last did this but if memory serves, adjusting the polygon growth area can result in the guides/hair doing funny things. However, it's immediately visible so it's not a matter of problems arising later on.

Hope that helps

09 September 2012
Thank you Francois.

Of course since I didnt know what I was doing at the time (and the deadline clock was ticking) I just dived in and now after several weeks-- I have an approved scene file in which every eyelash has been scrutinized and signed off on.

The scene is already animated--the eyelids blink eyes change expression, and the hair I sculpted for the brows moves along with the animated skin of the brows.

If I de-activate the "generate" options, then symmetry works as needed--and the cloned guides appear to move in unison with the lashes on the other eye. But activating generate (which is very important here) kills the symmetry.

Just wondering if theres a way to keep the symmetry active (and respecting animation of the mesh) with the generate option active.

09 September 2012
-Hair to guides
-Add mirrored polygons to selection.
-Activate Mirror tool hair. Set to Clone, auto root.
-Select all guides
-Click Apply (had to click twice(?))
-Invert Selection. Root guides that didn't get rooted.
Done

10 October 2012
Thanks Bunk!

Will give this a shot now...

10 October 2012
There are a number of ways I can go about mirroring a poly selection--most of them somewhat time consuming. Is there a plug or a script handy someone could point me to that will do it more efficiently?

Sorry---seems I've hit an area that I've not a lot of experience in. Thanks

10 October 2012
THANKS BUNK

Your solution worked.

Cheers!

-joel

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread