Help a Wings user adapt to Silo...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Question Help a Wings user adapt to Silo...

Hello all...

I've been using Wings for a few months now and really like it. But I was intrigued enough with Silo (and v.2 comming soon) that I bough it last week. I love how you can adjust the key commands and interface to suite your needs! it's great!

I did have a few questions on things that I can do in wings but I'm not sure how to do them in Silo. Please forgive the noob questions!!! I'm not trying to compare Wings to Silo or anything or trying to bash it (as I do own it), I'm just trying to adapt and learn. I'd appreciate any help anyone is willing to lend!

1. Is there a Inset command like wings has?
2. Is there a Intrude command like wings has?
3. I will hit the number keys in Wings when I have a edge selected to spit it into that many segments. Can we do this in Silo.
4. I can't figure out how to set the space bar to 'deselect all' or 'select none'. Is this possible?
5. Are there vector commands like Wings has?
6. Is there a 'Select Similar' command?

Thanks again...

--Jeff

02 February 2006
I only just tried the demo of Silo myself and. . . while it does have a Mari camera. . . it sure seems to be missing a lot of things I have come to rely on in Wings. I had a few people try and help me through my issues but in the end I had to tuck my tail betwen my legs and go back to Wings. I do wish Wings had the ability to edit models while they are subdivided. That was VERY slick.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Wegg: I only just tried the demo of Silo myself and. . . while it does have a Mari camera. . . it sure seems to be missing a lot of things I have come to rely on in Wings. I had a few people try and help me through my issues but in the end I had to tuck my tail betwen my legs and go back to Wings. I do wish Wings had the ability to edit models while they are subdivided. That was VERY slick.

I did feel the same way (and still do a little). but the more I use silo the more I get accustomed to it. There are still some things that I love the way Wings handles things but silo also has some great aspects - and you can truly customize the interface as much as you want. I still need to go back to wings many times but I think that much of this has to do with my lack of knowledge of silo so far. Hopefully this will change! I'm also looking forward to the v.2 release of silo - and hope that many of the items that people feel are missing or lacking will be updated. All in all I'm happy I made the purchase (with the free upgrade to v2) and am also glad that I'll always have wings too!

03 March 2006
WEGG, you can get the effect of working with a sub d model in Wings.

Shift Tab, it is the sub d model and allows you to still work on the model. Hope that helps.

I wish wings had a lathe tool

03 March 2006
<< I wish wings had a lathe tool >>

Why - what do you want to produce that you can't already - in a simple and effective manner?
(prob better to post in the wings forum, btw? )

pp

03 March 2006
I have zero experience in Wings, but I have been using Silo for about 8 months now. So anyway, for all of us that like to help but have not worked with wings, why not make the questions less wings specific (In Wings I do X with command A, in Silo...?) so we can help you out?

Just a thought...

03 March 2006
I havent used Silo that much, but Id like to give a stab at answering these questions since noone else has.

1. Is there a Inset command like wings has?

No there is not, you have to use extrude which is not as good at adding geometry. This is one feature that I think Silo should add.

2. Is there a Intrude command like wings has?

No (I dont think so), but Silo is not limited to making closed objects like wings, so it is much easier to construct geometry inside other geometry. So the intrude (which is sort of a make hollow command) would be of less value. Im guessing you could just copy geometry and scale it down inside the original and reverse normals for the same effect.

3. I will hit the number keys in Wings when I have a edge selected to spit it into that many segments. Can we do this in Silo.

Cant remember if Silo has this feature but you can slide vertices across edges in Silo, so this feature would be of less value than it is in Wings.

4. I can't figure out how to set the space bar to 'deselect all' or 'select none'. Is this possible?

Im sure it is possible.

5. Are there vector commands like Wings has?

Silo has snap to normal gizmos as well as snap to edge, etc which does the same thing.

6. Is there a 'Select Similar' command?

I dont know.

03 March 2006
Quote: 1. Is there a Inset command like wings has?

No there is not, you have to use extrude which is not as good at adding geometry. This is one feature that I think Silo should add.

Extrude combined with Inset scale? There is a silo plugin which binds these two functions to a single op.

Quote: 2. Is there a Intrude command like wings has?

No (I dont think so), but Silo is not limited to making closed objects like wings, so it is much easier to construct geometry inside other geometry. So the intrude (which is sort of a make hollow command) would be of less value. Im guessing you could just copy geometry and scale it down inside the original and reverse normals for the same effect.

I think Silo's Shell command offers similar fuction? (I'm not up on Wings).

4. You can't bind non printable keys currently. I think this may be sorted for v2.

6. no. It would be nice to have it though.

03 March 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread