Advice for first timers (Q & A)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  06 June 2010
Advice for first timers (Q & A)

Hi guys, Roberto here:

If you are attending the conference for the first time, this is the place to ask questions:
To get the ball rolling I am going to repost some of the Q& A from previous years .

Question: ( WHAT TO WEAR)
Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Hope to hear some good advice

ANSWER Posted by malducin:
  • dress casual: jeans, tshirts and sneakers are fine (boy I wish I knew that my first time). Sneakers are the most important, lots of walking.
  • weather: usually very hot outside in downtown LA though the nights are cool. The convention center is air conditioned. Actually some rooms might be a bit cold, while small crowded rooms might get a bit hot (even with AC). In general it's comfortable though if you're sensitive to cold use long leave shirts or tie a light jacket around your waist.
  • Electronics: the convention center has wireless access so lots of people carry their laptops around. It's a matter of if you care lugging that extra weigh around.
  • Food: a bit expensive at the convention center, although if pressed for time it's cnvenient. The food court gets crowded. There are also smaller food spots inside like at the back of the exhibition floor. There are better places to it outside but you'll have to walk. What I usually do is buy snack or cereal bars to eat at lunch time (which is when I usually go to the CAF but we'll see this year), that way I save a lot for lunch and get a good dinner. The hotel I'm staying has breakfast buffet so I usually stuff myself so I don't get that hungry ;-).
  • Other stuff depends if you're looking for a job: bring enough reels/porfolios/resumes. Also bringing a laptop or small portable DVD player/screen is ideal toshow your work. Bring enough business cards.
  • Check the online schedule at least to get an idea what you might want to attend.
Other advice depends on what registration category you got, your general plans, when you arrive, etc.

QUESTION:

Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Hope to hear some good advice
ANSWER Posted by Titus:
SIGGRAPH is a huge event, there's no way you can do or watch everything. When returning home back from my first SIG (97) I felt like wasted my time and did nothing, that was not true. When you're there go to the "pathfinders" and gather all the information you can have, try to plan all your days according to interests and pick alternatives.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06 June 2010 at 08:32 PM.

share thread