Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoclypse
That's why I hate these comparison's, there is no information. On paper just on architecture alone the PS4 and XBoxOne should have benefits over a PC. Right now developers are getting to grips with the hardware and while the architecture is basically an x86 chip there are some differences, namely the unified memory and gpu. That should allow for things the PC won't be able to do without far higher specs. So if we can get a link to wherever the original comparison was posted hopefully we can get more information and make a proper comparison.

Ok so there's a material design difference.... So it is a HORIZONTAL difference... like "It's done differently on this machine."

OK.. Noted.

I was also kinda lost in all the "It's not an x86 platform" talk and I didn't expect that kind of difference (again ignoring the right side of the screen in that demo).

Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Anchang-Style
Frequenter
portfolio
Matthias
Hamburg, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Anchang-Style Send a message via MSN to Anchang-Style
One thing to note: The PC Footage was taken with the Demos shown July last year ( i think that was the first time elemental demo was shown), the PS4 footage is from the PS4 unveil. Point is Epic, between July last year and the PS 4 unveil, got rid of one of their major lightning features: Sparse Voxel Octree Illumination. The lack of that is very very obvious right from the get go. Yeah Bokeh is missing too, if you consider how much stress Bokeh adds in recent games this might be a logical step. If i remember correctly the original one ran on a 680GTX and i7 or something? Are we really suprised this won't work. They said themself they scrapped SVOI because it was too heavy for their own rigs and everyone knew the consoles are not going to be the power house a 1500$ PC would be. Also we have not seen this run on a normal end consumer PC, we don't know what this demo would look like on an average system. I thought the demo still looked good. This quality for 400 bucks? People telling me they can build a rig that will run this for 400 bucks are delusional. Every GPU that would run this at moderate speed will cost you almost the price of a console, considering that the missing bokeh and some particles and some textures here and there not beeing 2048 is really an ok price to pay. If the next games will look the part of the PS4 version, that would still be good enough.

Last edited by Anchang-Style : 09-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Speaking of UE4, has there been any word of a UDK version? I look forward to never seeing the ugly UI of UE3 anymore.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I think the PS4 is holding up quite well against what was a top-end PC setup a year ago

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread