CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Goig!

Send a message via ICQ to Goig!
Scalable stretchy limb? (3ds Max)

I've been trying to get a stretchy limb to be able to be scaled with no success so far (3ds Max by the way) The idea being that I'll have many characters on a scene and I'd like to vary their scale.

The basic setup I'm testing is a three bone IK chain, two versions, one using a script controller to achieve the stretching and another version using only wired parameters for the same. The problem is that when stretching up the rig the two stretch bones scale up twice as much as they should.
The scaling is done by scaling a master controller, to where the root node and the end node of the IK chains are parented.

Any suggestions on how to crack this problem would be very appreciated.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Goig!

Hey, one at a time!

Never mind, I found a solution, a very simple one actually, I'll post it later in case anyone stumbles on the same problem.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
hazmondo
Expert

portfolio
Harry
Rigging TD
Axis Animation
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Hello,

I think if you're going solely for scalable stretchy IK then the easiest way to achieve it is by using an Expression controller and the if(c,t,f) function which allows you to enable the feature in one line (even if it is quite long).

I've uploaded a scene file containing the set up which might not be the same as yours but it's different strokes for different blokes.

-Harry
Attached Files
File Type: zip scalableStretchyIK.zip (19.3 KB, 10 views)

Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Goig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmondo
Hello,

I think if you're going solely for scalable stretchy IK then the easiest way to achieve it is by using an Expression controller and the if(c,t,f) function which allows you to enable the feature in one line (even if it is quite long).

I've uploaded a scene file containing the set up which might not be the same as yours but it's different strokes for different blokes.

-Harry

Thanks, I'll take a look at that scene later, but I'd rather not use an Expression Controller because those tend to stop working when you duplicate the rig, the way I'm testing now I can just Shift-Drag and I have a working copy with no problems.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread