Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
Thanks.
That is done with the MoveWhenPlayerClose script, itís in the project. You can add that script to any object.

The 4 input fields are for:
Close object: Drag the firstPersonCharacter object in there.
amount to move: Where to move to when the player is getting near.
Min and max distance:† The object moves when the player is between these distances.

I have a question for you. How did you make the clouds in the icy landscape? I like the ice textures. Did you make them yourself or did you find them somewhere?

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by mart1jn: Thanks.
That is done with the MoveWhenPlayerClose script, itís in the project. You can add that script to any object.

The 4 input fields are for:
Close object: Drag the firstPersonCharacter object in there.
amount to move: Where to move to when the player is getting near.
Min and max distance:† The object moves when the player is between these distances.

I have a question for you. How did you make the clouds in the icy landscape? I like the ice textures. Did you make them yourself or did you find them somewhere?

For the ice spheres...I just added a normal map and height map. for the snow terrain and ice terrain I found a resource that had a bunch of attributes exposed. You could dial things in. You'll see when I post v2 that I changed the look so that it doesn't look like water and ice, but more like ice chunks mixed with ice that has melted and re-frozen.

The first video was too compressed to fully appreciate. V2 will look better as I've refined...and will compress less. I also turned down fog.

For the moving clouds and snow falling I used a package called, "Enviro". Enviro also came with the tweak-able ice textures.
https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...d-weather-33963

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 04 April 2018 at 11:47 PM.

04 April 2018
bogged down w/very slow iOS build process and the realization I need to use Xcode, which I'll need to download and familiarize myself with. Will post results when available...and v2 video.

04 April 2018
quick tip:
Control S will save both scenes and the project. I was confused about that since there are save options for each. Learned this from an expert today.

04 April 2018
It was taking *hours* to process an iOS build* and I needed to do other work. I'll need to explore later...perhaps starting w/a small test file. And I received a client request that I need to work on immediately... so I won't be posting a v2 of #Ice Spheres.†

*I learned to my surprise this is normal.

04 April 2018
Time to wrap up this thread/expedition. In a few weeks I'll likely announce Expedition Deux. Congrats guys on your efforts and learning!

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 04 April 2018 at 06:28 AM.

reply share thread